Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

exciter rings, backing plates on 9"???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exciter rings, backing plates on 9"???

Going to take a look at a 9" rear this weekend. It has the axles out right now, and needs bearings pressed on. What all do I need to take off my 10 bolt and use on the 9"? I did a search, and am stilll confused (don't take much) I have a 01 SS w/ASR. Where do these parts need to go? Sorry for stupid questions, just want to be sure I can do this.
Thanks for any help!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it a 9" made for an F-body?? If it is, what brand? I am in the middle of installing a Moser 12 bolt, and all that was needed was pressing the bearing on the new axles, and the exiter (sp?) rings on the new axles so the ABS/TCS is operational. It's a pretty easy swap. Also, find out what size yoke is on the 9", you may need a new one on your driveshaft.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

you need the exciter rings on the axle shafts for your 4 channel, (which should be on allready if you ordered the right thing). the brake backing plates can come off the 10 bolt (its the plates that bolt to the axle housing ends and the brake caliper bolts to it)

put the backing plates on the shafts with the right orientation and left/right side and then get the bearings pressed on. the longer axle shaft is the passenger side. the backing plates should be so that the E brake shoes are facing outside towards where the wheel would be, and the caliper bolts towards the front of the car.

BTW what brand/setup is the 9"
Old 04-22-2005, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys! I think I got it, will just need to have my exciter rings pressed off my 10 bolt, then have them pressed on with bearings on the 9" axles. I bought it last night! It's a Moser bolt-in housing with 35 spline billet axles and spool w/4.33 gears. I also got a LGM torque arm and Denny's chromoly nitrous ready driveshaft with it-$2000 for all! Housing needs to be cleaned and painted, then I'll get my axles out of the 10 bolt and bring my axles,and the 9" to my tranny/rearend guy for check of center section setup and assembly! Had a hard time getting to sleep last night knowing all these parts were out in my truck! Can't wait!!

Last edited by SStillSSmokin; 04-22-2005 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Launching!

The place where I had the ABS rings put on heated them with a torch and lifted them off with a pair of pliers and just set them on the Moser axles while they were still hot. No pressing. Make sure that the brake backing plates are oriented correctly left to right before the wheel bearing are pressed on.