Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock sway bar hitting after TA girdle install

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock sway bar hitting after TA girdle install

Now that I have the car back, I'm finally getting around to putting parts on it. I put in my TA girdle today, and after taking it for a drive, I heard a strange noise coming from the rear at random occasions. It seems that the stock rear sway bar is hitting the cover on the driver side. I can tell because the edge of the cover closest to the sway bar has a dent on it now. I noticed that there wasn't much clearance when I first installed it, but I was hoping it would be enough not to cause a problem.

So has anyone else had this problem? And more importantly, how can I remedy it? I'm thinking an aftermarket rear sway bar might give me more clearance. In the pictures i've seen of BMR sway bars, they seem to have a great deal more clearance than the stock piece. If that's the only solution to this, what can I do in the meantime until I get that part? I was thinking either putting a piece of rubber of some kind between the point of contact, or removing the sway bar completely, if it could be done without causing problems.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Take that damn swaybar off. To tell you the truth, I was just looking at my rear end the other day thinking "How would a girdle fit with that sway bar right there?" I guess you answered it. A friend of mine just took his off because he put a girdle on and he said it really helped him launch better. His car handles great still too, so I say go for it.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

When I had a T/A girdle on my 10-bolt, the same thing happened to it. It got a nice flat spot on the edge closest to the sway bar on the driver's side. Seems there isn't enough clearance when the rear of the car drops a little, like after going over a bump.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Mat
Launching!

Crappy deal!!

I'm putting my TA Girdle on today.. would you be able to clearance or notch the stock swaybar to make it work or is it WAY off?

Is this a common problem? Never heard of it till now.. the day I'm about to install the one I just bought!
Old 07-29-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cover has a small dent in it also. I got a small clunk going over bumps and thought that was the source of the noise, so I took the rear swaybar completely off - noise was still there so I reinstalled it. Clunk turned out to be an undertorqued LCA bolt.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Mat
Launching!

Gotcha. So it might not be that big of a deal then. It'll be interesting to see how it goes on tonight and what clearances I've got.

Thanks for the comment man.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Mat
Launching!

Just went to the track last night and when trying to clean the tires (I've installed the girdle, it DOES clear but just barely.. and the drivers side has a previous owners massage mark on it ) I heard a bunch of clunking as I slid off the burnout box concrete.. track is cheap so there is a lip there.. ugh.

Anyways.. my swaybar did hit the girdle a little bit.. I might massage that section of it manually a bit just to clearance it. I've heard that having a swaybar on the rear actually helps you launch better? Am I out to lunch?

Gonna check my LCA bolts too.. I've got reloc's on the car with tubular BMR's and I haven't retorqued since I installed. Could use a greasing too I figure. I'll update once I do that and try it out again.

Quick Reply: Stock sway bar hitting after TA girdle install