Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt home buildup!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 bolt home buildup!

Who here has gotten a stock 12 bolt and built it up for their LS1 car. I have a buddy that owed me some parts and I mentioned I was in the market for a 12bolt so he said he probably has one for me still in a car.

Its all original and in good shape. I will obviously have to build it all up to work properly in my car, so I was just wondering if I could get a hand from guys who might have already done this or know what theyre doing.

I wouldnt mind knowing certain measurements and parts needed etc. I big writeup on it would be great. Or anything to lead me in the right direction. Im going to do this over the winter so Ive got some time, but I always like reading up and having a game plan ahead of time.

Also want to know if its even worth it in the first place. Thanks alot!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not worth it. If it didn't come out of an F-Body it won't have the mount for the torque arm. That's the first stumbling block. The next few are the width of the housing and the length of the axles and whether or not it has provisions for ABS and or TCS. If it was easy, we all would be getting cheap rear ends from the junkyard.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Probably not worth it. If it didn't come out of an F-Body it won't have the mount for the torque arm. That's the first stumbling block. The next few are the width of the housing and the length of the axles and whether or not it has provisions for ABS and or TCS. If it was easy, we all would be getting cheap rear ends from the junkyard.
Im not overly concerned with ABS and TCS, it may however have come out of an Fbody, but even if it hasnt, arent there aftermarket torque arms that dont mount to the rear axle? Plus cant I just shorten the axle housing and get new axles? I would want to get aftermarket axles for it anyways.