Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end popping, plus something extra special

Old 08-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end popping, plus something extra special

Something really weird just started today when I got out to take the TA for a little ride. As Im driving down my street, really slow at about 5 miles an hour or less, I hear this metallicy popping noise. First thing I thought was that a pipe fell off and was dragging, sounded exactly like my exhaust was dragging behind me. Everything is fine on the exhuast.

Ive searched, and seen a few people that have had this problem, and the various problems it could indicate.

Well, heres where my story gets interesting. When at a complete stop with the transmission (A4) in gear, the car seems to almost die. The RPMs drop to about 500 and teh car feels like its gonna stall out. Ive never seen anyone have popping and this problem combined. I checked the fluid level in the rear end already, and the fluid is full, it spills out when the little thing is removed (car is jacked up). Im almost ready to blow this car up, its constantly a problem now.

Any suggestions would be great
John
Old 08-04-2005, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure its not the tranny? sitting still, the rear would have no effect on the idle.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the trans to me too.
Just blew my rear, you can shake the rear of the car and it makes a clunking noise like all the bolts are loose and the rears moving.

Search this Thread