Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

strange 12 bolt guys need your help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default strange 12 bolt guys need your help...

Got my Strange 12 bolt bout 4/5 months ago, it was dead silent for the first month or 2 then it was slightly louder but not enough to bother me....broke the rear end in religiously up to 800 miles...@ 1k removed LPW cover and cleaned gears and carrier torque bolts and grdle to specs..add 2 quarts of lucas and 1 bottle of LSD additive from GM...bout 3 days ago my rear started to get really freakin louder @ lower gears and @ decelaration...brought to work yesterday and put it on the hoist...freaking gear lube all over my exhaust, rear housing, and t/a...pinion seal area is leaking,so I add bout 1 quart of gear lube and it quiete down a bit but still freakin louder than ever....talk to some of my friends that are also techs and they say it could be the pinion bearings or the gear mesh...another said they did not set it up right and thinks I should call strange ENgineering...

I spent 3k and waited bout 3 months to get my rear end here now this

Does any body know the part # for the pinion seal for this strange 12 bolt rears?

Last edited by 1320_PERFORMANCE; 09-27-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Teching In

I would call them and see what they say. There should be some kind of warranty still.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like for whatever reason the pinion nut has loosened up. Because it was quiet initially I think the setup was ok, however the cause of the nut loosening needs to be investigated. It could be it wasn't torqued properly, it could be that an incorrect nut was used.

Did you have them set it up with a solid pinion spacer or a crush sleeve ? If it was a solid pinion spacer, I would just remove the nut, yoke, and seal and put a new seal and nut on it and torque it to 140 ft lbs and see how it goes. If it was a crush sleeve system, I would go ahead and replace that too before torqueing the new stuff on.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another failure!
Heres my story:

Ordered 12 bolt rear with 4.10's h/d posi, 33 spline axles, alum cover 4 chan, 3" shaft built by Strange, chromoly pinion
Recieved beginning of May
I installed it on May 19th '05
Drove car for about 850-900 miles VERY EASY - Started making noise
Changed fluid at 1012 miles - still screaming, developed viscous vibration
Early June, I pulled the drive shaft, found twisted splines inside the yoke
Called Strange, told to send in the shaft
2-1/2 weeks later get the driveshaft back with a new billet forged yoke
Called Strange again about gear noise, was told to bring it to a shop here in Jersey and have it rebuilt at there expense
End of June, get car back all is ok...for now
Mid July (yup 2 weeks later) rear starts screaming again, put the car in the air at work and found gear oil bubbling from the axle tube weld!!
Called Strange again, I was told by Tracy that it was "impossible for a weld to leak"
She called back and said to send the rear back to them.
3 days later, I get a call from Tracy, she said the bad weld is my fault because I painted the rear!!! I told her that she is a poor representetive of the company and that she has no clue what the hell she was talking about!
Called the manager and told him the story, he laughed and apologized, then admitted that it was indeed a fault weld. He would have it takin care of. I also told him that the gears should also be replaced due to loosing fluid. If the fluid is low, it will not cool the gears, therefore causing them to get superheated, which will cause a whine.
3 weeks ago was the last time I spoke to someone at Strange until Friday 9/23/05, when Tracy said the housing was placed in a jig, straightened out and re-welded, I was also told that I would be getting a complete new gear set at there expense because they fuked up.
I am still waiting for the rear to come back to me so I can justify the 3500 bucks.

Neadless to say, no matter what the outcome of this is, I am not a happy customer, I have been EXTREMELY patient with this company and for what, for some stupid twit to tell me that a weld broke because I painted a bare piece of metal?!?!? Forgive me if I don't want 3 g's to look like a rusty mess!

In a nutshell

*** Strange!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

p.s. sorry for the novel
Old 09-27-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Twisted splines in the yoke, how the hell did that happen ?

That bites about the cracked/broken weld.

Sucks that it wasn't perfect, but at least they stood behind it. I hope you got that bitch Tracy fired !
Old 09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

heres my story ,drove it 70 miles and i've got gear lube every where ,and guess what strange didnt put any seals in there so i had to pull it and send it back now my rear is whining again so i'm not pulling it until it breaks ,but maybe this is normal who knows i'll never buy another strange .

it takes an act of congress to finallt get to talk to JD and he just laughs
phone calls totalled 3 hrs /poor service
Old 09-28-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1320_PERFORMANCE
Got my Strange 12 bolt bout 4/5 months ago, it was dead silent for the first month or 2 then it was slightly louder but not enough to bother me....broke the rear end in religiously up to 800 miles...@ 1k removed LPW cover and cleaned gears and carrier torque bolts and grdle to specs..add 2 quarts of lucas and 1 bottle of LSD additive from GM...bout 3 days ago my rear started to get really freakin louder @ lower gears and @ decelaration...brought to work yesterday and put it on the hoist...freaking gear lube all over my exhaust, rear housing, and t/a...pinion seal area is leaking,so I add bout 1 quart of gear lube and it quiete down a bit but still freakin louder than ever....talk to some of my friends that are also techs and they say it could be the pinion bearings or the gear mesh...another said they did not set it up right and thinks I should call strange ENgineering...

I spent 3k and waited bout 3 months to get my rear end here now this

Does any body know the part # for the pinion seal for this strange 12 bolt rears?

damm sorry to hear that Mark.either send it back to Strange and have them fix it or have a shop locally tear it apart and fix it.9inch is the only way to go.good luck.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35th SS
damm sorry to hear that Mark.either send it back to Strange and have them fix it or have a shop locally tear it apart and fix it.9inch is the only way to go.good luck.
waited ****** 3/4 months and spent 3k on this rear and now this ...they dont have a dealer here on Maui ..so I gottah call this guy named Kell there on OAhu....
Old 09-28-2005, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Just got home from my friends shop, put my car on the hoist and I shook the driveshaft to check for play on pinion and that ****** was so loose....the only thing holding the pinion nut was the universal joints. I was like WTF! so I called up strange and told um wats up...I told them Imma change the seal and retorque the pinion nut and added some thread locker on nut threads....so far its dead silent...

^ bout the welds and painting it was the cause of the leak...thats fucked up ****! hehehe....I over heard them say Tracy when I was on the phone w/ Martin, I guess she still works there...

Strange has a great customer service BUT they gottah get a dealer here on MAUI, HAWAII to do there warranty work!.....it was so funny cause they told me to bring to this place and that place was in another Island (oahu)
Old 09-28-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ in my opinion, Martin is just as bad as that c*nt Tracy. Martin was the twit that I dealt with for the driveshaft. His words to me was this
martin "Your yoke is designed to hold up to 600 hp"
me "I don't have 600 hp, I will prove it with a dyno video that is dated 2 days ago!"
martin "well me and my engineer don't know what to tell you except the upgraded version is $200, we won't warranty the yoke cause it's not ours"
me "what do you mean it's not yours, it's on your driveshaft *******"
martin "oh-well"
martins manager "we installed a new upgraded yoke"
me "finally"
So, in my opinion, Martin is as big of a dirtbag as Tracy!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE:

Today I recieved my rear back from Strange today. I am now missing parts of my e-brake assembly!!!
I called that c*unt Tracy and told what I was missing, took 20 fuking minutes to describe to her what the part was! She finally told me that it would be about 3-5 days before I can get the part from them.
I told her to not waste her time, more importantly my time. I would spend my time and get the parts myself, and install them myself.
She then told me that she was "sorry for the inconvience!"
me "Sorry for the inconvience?!, this whole ordeal from early May till now has been an inconvience, I have nothing but but problems from your company. Everything from the driveshaft to the rear that is now on it's 3rd set of gears and a housing repair in less than 2800 miles!"
Tracy "well Justin, I can say that we are sorry for the issues"
Me "Does anybody ever check the product before it leaves?"
Tracy "Yes sir, I like to think everything is checked"
Me " *** you! Your first mistake was thinking, your next mistake was telling me, a certified technicain, that everything is checked! You are a complete disgrace to the company name. You have told me, again, a certified mechanic, that a weld is impossible to leak, paint over a vent would cause a weld to fail, our rears are checked and re-checked, all our products are verified for quality before shipping. You are a horrible representation of that company"
Tracy "I feel that I am a wonderful representaion of this company"
Me "Wrong again, you have no clue about the product that you were hired to represent"
Tracy "I know exactly what I'm talking about"
Me "Thats funny, cause I'm willing to bet that if you were to stand in front of a mirror, you would'nt be able to tell your c*nt from your elbow! Your a waste, and about as stupid as a busted brick! You have done nothing for me but cause me grief and aggrevation"
Tracy "I fixed the rear"
Me "No you didn't fix the rear, you push pens and answer phones, JC was the one who got the ball rolling for the repair. I went to him becuase you told me that it was impossible for a weld to leak, then a vent would cause the weld to fail"
Tracy "Again I am sorry you feel that way"
Me "*** you I have to go back to work"
At that point I hung up the phone. Tomorrow, the 12 bolt goes back in the car and it damn well better be quiet!
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1320_PERFORMANCE
Just got home from my friends shop, put my car on the hoist and I shook the driveshaft to check for play on pinion and that ****** was so loose....the only thing holding the pinion nut was the universal joints. I was like WTF! so I called up strange and told um wats up...I told them Imma change the seal and retorque the pinion nut and added some thread locker on nut threads....so far its dead silent...

^ bout the welds and painting it was the cause of the leak...thats fucked up ****! hehehe....I over heard them say Tracy when I was on the phone w/ Martin, I guess she still works there...

Strange has a great customer service BUT they gottah get a dealer here on MAUI, HAWAII to do there warranty work!.....it was so funny cause they told me to bring to this place and that place was in another Island (oahu)
what place is this on oahu? had my 3.89 to 4.57 ring and pinion swap out through Maui offroad in Moanalua hwy.they did a good job.talk to jeff.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 35th SS
what place is this on oahu? had my 3.89 to 4.57 ring and pinion swap out through Maui offroad in Moanalua hwy.they did a good job.talk to jeff.
Wassup Rex...dont really know what place on Oahu, they just gave me a # and a name....I guess if my rear fails on me again Ill have to do all the work again myself....I think they should send me a new set of gears, innner and outer pinion bearings & races, carrier bearings and races, pinion nut & seal, solid spacer and gear lube + additive just incase the rear ***** up again ....
Old 09-29-2005, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01350ss
UPDATE:

Today I recieved my rear back from Strange today. I am now missing parts of my e-brake assembly!!!
I called that c*unt Tracy and told what I was missing, took 20 fuking minutes to describe to her what the part was! She finally told me that it would be about 3-5 days before I can get the part from them.
I told her to not waste her time, more importantly my time. I would spend my time and get the parts myself, and install them myself.
She then told me that she was "sorry for the inconvience!"
me "Sorry for the inconvience?!, this whole ordeal from early May till now has been an inconvience, I have nothing but but problems from your company. Everything from the driveshaft to the rear that is now on it's 3rd set of gears and a housing repair in less than 2800 miles!"
Tracy "well Justin, I can say that we are sorry for the issues"
Me "Does anybody ever check the product before it leaves?"
Tracy "Yes sir, I like to think everything is checked"
Me " *** you! Your first mistake was thinking, your next mistake was telling me, a certified technicain, that everything is checked! You are a complete disgrace to the company name. You have told me, again, a certified mechanic, that a weld is impossible to leak, paint over a vent would cause a weld to fail, our rears are checked and re-checked, all our products are verified for quality before shipping. You are a horrible representation of that company"
Tracy "I feel that I am a wonderful representaion of this company"
Me "Wrong again, you have no clue about the product that you were hired to represent"
Tracy "I know exactly what I'm talking about"
Me "Thats funny, cause I'm willing to bet that if you were to stand in front of a mirror, you would'nt be able to tell your c*nt from your elbow! Your a waste, and about as stupid as a busted brick! You have done nothing for me but cause me grief and aggrevation"

Tracy "I fixed the rear"
Me "No you didn't fix the rear, you push pens and answer phones, JC was the one who got the ball rolling for the repair. I went to him becuase you told me that it was impossible for a weld to leak, then a vent would cause the weld to fail"
Tracy "Again I am sorry you feel that way"
Me "*** you I have to go back to work"
At that point I hung up the phone. Tomorrow, the 12 bolt goes back in the car and it damn well better be quiet!
That sucks mang....yeah I dealt w/ Jc b4 for my faulty 4:10 gears on my 10 bolt he was really on it, kool guy...I also believe that my rear is leaking through the axle tube welds on the left side.....Imma just have to lay a weld on that myself cause I cant afford to down my car that long + Im all the way here on Hawaii....I called back Martin yesterday to ask for torque specs and it seemed like he dint know what he was talking bout....they should get real techs for their Tech lines! and they should really get a dealer here on Maui, Hawaii..cause I paid 3k for this rear and I DONT WANNA BE WORKING ON IT MYSELF ALL THE GODDAM TIME!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Thats why I'm getting mine from Jay Billingsley
Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Z28
Thats why I'm getting mine from Jay Billingsley

What are you getting from Jay? Fabbed 9 Inch? cause I ordered my strange 12 bolt through Billingsley.....
Old 09-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Teching In

I was going to get a Strange for my car, but after reading all this crap I don't think so. Its not that they didn't finally fix it for you guys, its all the down time trying to get it fixed.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ that is my main issue with this company! I understand stuff fails, I understand people make mistakes, thats fine, I can deal with that, the problem lies when people, or a company, take there sweet *** time fixing there screw-ups! In my opinion, they already have my $3500 from a long time ago, my problem (or anyone else who has a problem) should be dealt with FIRST! Not when they "get around to it"
I have missed nearly 2 whole months of my short driving season for what?
Laziness and an inept way of conducting business.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You know, I have been reading this forum for a year now and it's always the same thing. Strange's rearends are no good, Moser rearends are no good, seems like no one can make a good rearend.

I don't know if Jay builds his own or buys them assembled from Strange or Moser.

For anyone looking at a rear, I would recommend either buying the housing from Strange, then inspecting or rewelding the key welds, then assembling it yourself so you can assure component and assembly quality, or going to a reputable shop and have them do the exact same thing.

I think the preassembled rears that come direct from the aftermarket guys seem to lack a good quality assurance department.

Quick Reply: strange 12 bolt guys need your help...