Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tru-Trac not for Drag Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tru-Trac not for Drag Racing?

Read a few threads on here that said the Tru-Trac was the best posi unit to get if you are replacing in your 10 bolt. Went to research on their site and it was recommended for trucks and motorhomes? WTF?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The deal with it??? Trucks and motorhomes are substantially heavier than your Camaro. So if the TrueTrac can handle moving a 6,000-lb truck up hills, thru mud, and over rocks and stuff, it's good enough for your 3,400-lb F-body.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:11 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I have sold a ton of Moser 12 bolts with True Tracs for late model F Body's, and I have never heard on a problem with them at all. Bob
Old 10-06-2005, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ric
The deal with it??? Trucks and motorhomes are substantially heavier than your Camaro. So if the TrueTrac can handle moving a 6,000-lb truck up hills, thru mud, and over rocks and stuff, it's good enough for your 3,400-lb F-body.
That's great - but my point is that nowhere in the entire piece do they mention anything about drag racing applications - they list trucks, motorhomes, etc but nothing about cars. I'm wondering if I have the wrong application - I did click on Tru-Trac??? I'm sure the "if it's good enough for them" theory works for some people, but if this was designed for drag racing why no mention of it anywhere - I would be happy with a footnote even that said - "great for drag racing too!"

EDIT: Found the right brochure - never mind:
http://www.tractech.com/docs/DetroitTruetrac04.pdf

Last edited by mako22; 10-06-2005 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

I have had mine for almost a year now. It works great on my 3700lb car.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

The best overall unit for drag racing is by far a spool. But it won't allow for different wheel speeds around corners. The TrueTrac is more or less a beefier version of the Torsen limited-slip. It's plenty strong enough for drag racing, so long as you ain't running single digits. If strength concerns you, yet you want decent driveability, get a Detroit Locker. It won't be as friendly as the TrueTrac, but it's tolerable, and STOUT.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

thanks guys, I'm going with the Tru-Trac - as you can see I'm not putting down a ton of power but I am doing one-leggers after only 20 passes so I want to make sure I'm getting the best. I heard the order of preference (least to best) was Torsen, Auburn, Eaton , TruTrac
Old 10-06-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Have had mine for 3 yrs.now,no noise,no problem-----if its made by DETROIT it is a great product...
Old 10-07-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Regular

I would debate that order of preference, a Torsen(esp the T2R) is a much better diff than the Eaton or Auburn.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, anything gear-driven would likely be stouter than a friction unit. Plus, the gear units are a lot smoother.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

I got the tru track and it's great at the track
Old 10-11-2005, 12:16 AM
14 Second Truck Club

One of the perceived problems is that the unit is not preloaded because it is torque activated. But, many of the older Moroso brute strength and Eaton diffs were used without preload springs without any problems. Another concern is the fine meshing teeth in the diff. They just recently(last couple of years) started marketing them for street/strip use, they used to be marketed for use in front axles to help them tuen better but still have a limited slip. They havent had any real problems with them in drag applications that I have heard of, so they must be doing pretty well. They even make a preloaded 9" version. I like the way they drive on the street, you almost dont even know its there even in the rain. I would still think the Eaton is stronger(no proof, just experience), but the Trutrac is deffinetly stronger than stock.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about the eaton being stronger than the trutrac,plenty of
eatons have bit the dust in fbody 12bolt land.Spyder gears exploding on the
33 spline stuff ,cases cracking by the pins etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Let me begin by saying we carry a lot of different brands of differntials....

ARB Air Locker
Auburn Gear
Dana Powr-Lok
Dana Trac-Lok
Detroit Locker
Eaton Posi
Eaton E-Locker
Electrac
E-Z Locker
Lock Right
No-Slip
Performance Locker
PG Power Brute
PG Power-Lok
PG Track-Lok
PG Ultralte Locker
Traction Lok
Truetrac
Zexel Torsen

Clearly there is a lot of misunderstanding about differentials here.

Helical diffs are the cat's *** for smoothness and torque biasing. But if you are drag racing hard, you really should have a more normal type of differential. Why? Well, helical diffs use gears only inside, those gears try and spead with big loads and put stress on the cases. Add a lot of traction and power the shocking loads go way up and that's not what helical diff's do best. The result is cracked carrier cases, and I've seen that happen more than once on cars without a ton of power..... The question is simple, what do you want the diff to do best?

I run a T2R in my car because I autocross and do open track events. I *WOULD NOT* run that diff if I was a big drag racer, and I'm a huge believer in helical units. The idea of comparing a truck to a f-body and saying if it's good enough for them it's fine for us is just crazy. The trucks have bigger carriers to start with, and aren't exactly subject to someone looking for a better 60' time on ET streets......

You guys want to talk about diffs? Call someone who knows how they work and carries ALL the popular brands (I could care less what you buy as long as it works right because I carry so many). I can and will take the time to explain the differences and the pro's and con's of each to you. That's my job.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-16-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would still think the Eaton is stronger(no proof, just experience), but the Trutrac is deffinetly stronger than stock.
My moser with Posi is doing one wheel burn outs after a couple thousand street miles. I haven't taken it to the track yet. I am thinking of replacing it with a True Track. Would you advice against it? I should have around 425 rwhp and will be changing my stall from a 3800 to a 4500. Will be taking it to the track, but the car is still a daily driver when the weather is nice.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

I got the tru trac in my 9".....I'll let ya know how it holds up.....lol
Old 11-17-2005, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. I'll have to call you Sam.

I recently upgraded power. The T2R is still holding steady. But I can feel the rear taking a real beating now with the extra power. I think it will go soon.

If I blow the rear I'll probably go 9" with the Tru-trac for autox. Euginio_SS is running one on his road race car that I think Sam you helped build ( the rear 9").
Old 11-17-2005, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Viper
Interesting. I'll have to call you Sam.

I recently upgraded power. The T2R is still holding steady. But I can feel the rear taking a real beating now with the extra power. I think it will go soon.

If I blow the rear I'll probably go 9" with the Tru-trac for autox. Euginio_SS is running one on his road race car that I think Sam you helped build ( the rear 9").
Sam, does the Tru Trac for the 9s have any more bias than the ones for the 12/10 bolts (the 10 bolt version is no longer available, I'm told??). I've heard that this is an option (the higher bias) for the 9" versions.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Do they have a version that eliminates c-clips?
I just thought about that and haven't seen one yet.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:13 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by CatchinZs
Do they have a version that eliminates c-clips?
I just thought about that and haven't seen one yet.
Yes indeed! I have sold dozens of Moser 12 bolts this year with the True-Trac option. Most have ordered the optional 33 spline axles along with the performance cover, ABS or ABS/TCS. Completely optioned out like this, I sell them for $2,350.00 plus freight collect shipping. I have never had anyone have a problem that I know of, with the true-trac. Moser did trsting with a big block 1st gen Camaro prior to selling the true-trac. They found much better and consistant launches at the track with the true-trac, than they did with the Eaton. Bob

Quick Reply: Tru-Trac not for Drag Racing?