Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Differential Noise help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Noise help!

I recently changed my diff fluid in my car. Say like 2 weeks ago. I used 75w90 synthetic, no additive b/c i have no lsd, and i replaced the crap gm paper gasket with another crap paper gasket. I did forget the gasket sealer stuff, (yes its leaking, but like a drop a day, i'm going to remedy this problem this weekend and yes the diff is still full of fluid), that is my fault, however I do not know what i did to get it to create this noise. I did stick my hand in the differental once the cover was off, but that was to get fluid out b/c there was like a pool of it sitting in the bottom of the differential.

The noise is only made when the car is coasting. Once i hit the gas or the rear end is under power the noise goes away. It sounds like thunk thunk thunk.... I dont know what is wrong. I had a shop look at it today and they thought that the gunk in my old diff fluid was acting as a sound deadener and this new stuff wasn't. That didn't make too much sense to me. They also said that the ring and pinion gears were going bad. Which makes sense and makes me nervous b/c this is my only ride. But my car is only at 70k miles... how could this stuff go bad so soon? mabye i knocked something loose when i reached in the housing? mabye something is in the gears? I dont know. What do ya'll think?

Last edited by sp00rkz; 12-16-2005 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:15 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The synthetic gear oil more than likely is the culprit, as it isn't as gooey (only word I could think of...) as the original gear oil. Bob
Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 AM
Launching!

but don't our cars need syn?

actully i take it back about a thunk, it sounds like a duck quacking :\ i just drove it today and i'm afraid for it

help!

Last edited by sp00rkz; 12-16-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The synthetic gear oil more than likely is the culprit, as it isn't as gooey (only word I could think of...) as the original gear oil. Bob
This is what I was thinking. Petroleum based gear oils may deaden sound better than some synthetics. Other than that, the ring and pinion may be worn out.