Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Those with STRANGE or MOSER: Please post a review

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterock98
Is your car an automatic or 6 speed?
Checkout my signature
Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strange with 3.73's. Got it with the backing plates on it already and it dropped right in. It was dead quiet until I did some donuts on DR's . It's still not bad. Slight whine under lite throttle. Nothing on decel. Got about 15k on it. Some track runs but none with a real tire (yet).
Old 01-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Moser 12 bolt w/ tru-trac, t/a cover, 3.73s, and 33 spline axles. Main install bitch was the lack of a mounting nut on the axle center section where the brake line tee ( flex line meets metal lines) needs to attach. I had to weld a nut on there which wasn't a big deal, but w/o it I felt the metal lines moved around too much even w/ zip-tys around the lines on the axle tubes. I currently have a few thousand miles on it. I have done many 5K rpm clutch dumps from a stop and from a roll on street tires ( just havin' fun) and have a whine on light acceleration/ tip-in at different speeds now. Not extremely loud but you definately hear it. Was quiet for about a thousand miles. I followed Moser's break-in procedure; car on jacks, non-synthetic lube, run in forward & reverse for a few minutes, drive car approx. 10 miles at normal speed, accel. & decel several times conservatively, let cool for one hour. Started beating on it after that, no 100 or 500 mile break-in which I know some people recommend. I will have a local guy look at it this spring to make sure everything is OK. I installed this rear end right out of the box w/o checking clearances, backlash,etc. I could be responsible for the noise by doing these things but I felt that for what I paid for this I shouldn't have to recheck everything. I do feel confident that this is a strong rear end for my car though and after my spring check-up on the gear clearances I should be good to go for some DRs and track times.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ya i was also pissed about not haveing a plae to bolt the t for the brake lines to but i did not weld a nut...i made more sence and easier to be to do it liek stock and in one of the fins that come off the center section i drilled and tapped it

yo get some mt etstreet radials...whats kind of suspension do you have?

im going to be pullin mid 1.5s this year with my 12 bolt and if the posi breaks then i will put one of those truetracs in ti but for now it seems to liek to pull the wheels hard with a 6K dump on 255/50/16 etstreet radials
Old 01-19-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a Moser 12 in today. Set up, shimmed, in-and-out 6 times, pattern looked great. Did the Moser break-in suggestions and it has a slight tip-in whine with 15 miles on it. I think they all make some noise. We'll see how bad it gets after some hard launches. Have a friend with a Strange K's of miles on the clock and it makes noise too.

I'd never put a 9" in my chevy.

Last edited by Jimmyz; 01-21-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

I think yukon gears are queiter
Old 01-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jerflash
ya i was also pissed about not haveing a plae to bolt the t for the brake lines to but i did not weld a nut...i made more sence and easier to be to do it liek stock and in one of the fins that come off the center section i drilled and tapped it

yo get some mt etstreet radials...whats kind of suspension do you have?

im going to be pullin mid 1.5s this year with my 12 bolt and if the posi breaks then i will put one of those truetracs in ti but for now it seems to liek to pull the wheels hard with a 6K dump on 255/50/16 etstreet radials
I ordered my car w/ the Bilstein kit, but other wise suspension is stock for now.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tillery
I think yukon gears are queiter
Thats what I used.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strange 9" POS here. After the first install it screamed so loud you could hardly stand it, the gear oil was loaded with metal filings. Strange customer service is the worst, however after threats to take them to the Consumer Products Safety Comission, they areed to rebuild the pumpkin. Reinstalled the rebuilt unit, still whined but not as bad. The gear oil was still loaded with filings. The unit eventually froze up, the carrier bearings were installed too tight. I had it rebuilt locally and replaced all the bearings. Still whines but not as bad. The ring and pinion were not replaced even though I wanted them to be, the local shop thought they were fine. I will be changing the gear oil this week to find out if I have another horror show on my hands. Don't buy Strange!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
I'd never put a 9" in my chevy.

why whats wrong with the 9"? i have heard nothing but good thigns about it...and ford can make a bulletproof rear... am i just nieve?!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RICEBURNER
why whats wrong with the 9"? i have heard nothing but good thigns about it...and ford can make a bulletproof rear... am i just nieve?!
I'm not an expert by any means...but I am a "listener". I "hear" not so good things now and again about them like bigdsz says. Bearings, pinion angles, power hogs, loud clunky,very heavy...etc. Never anything about breaking though.

I just dont like the damn thing.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe you misunderstood me, actually I am quite happy with my 9", I beat the hell out of it and it takes anything I hit it with. The peace of mind is that I never have to worry about destroying it. What I am unhappy about is the whine which is now not so bad since I had it rebuilt locally. My major beef is with Strange where I bought the center section, they are MF bastards similar to SLP when that poor guy had his brand new 402 blow recently and SLP won't do anything about it.. Their customer service Strange is the worst, they suck!!!