Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Creative gear heads and/or hurst white ball owners wanted

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Creative gear heads and/or hurst white ball owners wanted

I installed the Pro 5.0 shifter this past weekend. I can't believe the how drastic the difference is in the feel. The 2-3 shift is so sure fire now, I actually second guess myself as the shift is so easy.

Here's my problem though. I have a new rattle, after goofing around with a few things, I finally figured out it was merely the shift ****. I have the Hurst "white ball" shift ****.

Anybody else stopped it from rattling? I really like the look of it, and the feel is fine, so I hate to give it up without a creative effort to nullify the noise. (it rattles with and without the nut below it, and yes, I've turned it tight) If thread locker is the secret, I'll give that a whirl, but I didn't want to use that until I was completely satisfied with the setup.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Creative gear heads and/or hurst white ball owners wanted

Try some teflon tape on the threads.You can take up as much slack as you need to by adding more.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Creative gear heads and/or hurst white ball owners wanted

Just a thought, here. I would say the problem lies in the added weight of the Hurst shift **** sitting atop the Pro 5.0. That, in combination with the increased stiffness and lack of dampening (stock shifter has the rubber bushing) of the 5.0, could create additional noise. You might try slipping a short section of heater hose over the stick to see if that might lessen the noise. Put the stock **** on to compare the sound levels.