Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What a PITA....leaking 9" from the centersection to housing..

Old 04-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a PITA....leaking 9" from the centersection to housing..

Well, I prepped the housing by using a C Clamp to press the studs into the housing, probably not the best idea. Anyway, during install of the center section, I laid down what I thought was a pretty good bead of copper RTV (my favorite). I went to sit the center section onto the housing, (housing was on a stand center section hole facing up) and the studs werent in totally straight. Had to wiggle it down and tap it with a rubber mallet a few times. Once seated I commenced to tightening it down. Now, after breaking it in, I drained the lube and noticed some leakage. ****, at first thinking it was the pinion seal, nope. Its the nut&bolt that sits at the 5 o'clock position. Fluid is leaking from around the stud and running down the housing.
Would I be crazy to try and remove the nut, use brake cleaner, or something to clean out the gear lube, and then throw a dab or so of RTV into the area surrounding the stud, and then replace the nut and washer? I do I need to suck it up, drop the rear, pull the center, clean, reseal and reseat? I hope not the latter.
FWIW, it doesnt seem to be losing a lot of fluid, but I dont have any other leaks and dont like them at all. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

The hardest choice is usually the "best" or "right" choice.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by mvonada
The hardest choice is usually the "best" or "right" choice.
OMG I really didnt want to hear that.....but so true it is, thus the "hard right, over the easy wrong." Well I know what I'll be doing after I clear the jobs off my plate.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When installing studs in a housing first thing is to use a stack of washers and a non locking nut to draw the studs in straight also use high quality studs such as ARP.... Cheap ones have poor knurling and will loosen up especially if you arent careful installing the gear... bTry to find some 3/8 AN washers and a little RTV a normal SAE washer wont do...
Old 04-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Restricted User

Thans CTS. Hopefully I can find some on island...damn its hard to find the unusual stuff, probably why they call it unusual.

Search this Thread