Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do you need to touch the Ring and Pinion if replacing Zexel Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do you need to touch the Ring and Pinion if replacing Zexel Unit

I'm looking at buying a low mileage rearend (850 miles) witht the Zexel Torsen unit in it.

If I wanted to replace that unit with an Auburn or Zexel T2R would a shop have to mess with the ring and pinion setup (lash)?

Concerned that messing with that might cause problems if not set up right.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

Yes they need to check and maybe reset the backlash after they put your ring gear on the new differential carrier. IMO backlash is the easiest thing to set so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throw some paint (oil based artist type) on the ring gear and wipe a pattern first. Also check the las in about three places.

Re-install the carrier to the lash setting first and make sure the wiped pattern looks the same or close to it. Then make any adjustments from there to get the pattern to where it was when you pulled it out.

I concur.... this is the easiest swap done.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks.

One more thing. If I decide to go with a 3.73 is there much more involved then the above? To swap out the 3.42 to a 3.73.

Keep in mind I do not have the time, equipment, or experince to do this myself. I will have to find a competent shop in the Phoenix area.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a lot more involved in doing a ratio change. If you havent done them in the past.... do take it to a performance builder.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
Thanks.

One more thing. If I decide to go with a 3.73 is there much more involved then the above? To swap out the 3.42 to a 3.73.

Keep in mind I do not have the time, equipment, or experince to do this myself. I will have to find a competent shop in the Phoenix area.
Yes, because the pinion & bearings need to come out as well, and normally it takes longer to set the correct pattern with an entirely ring & pinion than just a new carrier.