Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

detroit locker questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default detroit locker questions

me and a couple of friends just installed a new detroit locker, motive 3.73 gears, all new bearings and a girdle cover with studs. also did a umi torque arm and adjustable panhard rod too. but i noticed last night and today if i am in a curve and give the car gas or let off the gas it will pull or dart to one side or the other,sort of like the car don't want to go where i want it to. also it seems when i put the car into gear from park or neutral that there is a lot of movement in the rearend yoke. we have .10 backlash when we set the gears up. sometimes when i put it into gear it seems like just one wheel is engaged and it sort of tries to push the car one way or the other. anyone else have this experience with a locker? at first i thought it was the suspension but the more i drive the car i really think it is the locker in the rearend. by the way it is in my 10 bolt not that it should really matter.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything you said is normal with a locker

the more you drive it the more youll learn how to drive around those issues and eventually you can barely tell it there
Old 04-10-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=eventually you can barely tell it there[/QUOTE]

: ) Maybe with a real loud stereo and the right music.

I know some people get used to them, but I never could. Finally changed to a TrueTrac.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

What they said. My problem is that I have 35 spline axles - not so cheap to swap out.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Ditto. Got one in the Jeep, and it does the same stuff... but it's cool having the only Jeep in town that'll bark the tires in 2nd.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
Everything you said, is normal with a locker.

The more you drive it, the more you'll learn how to drive around those issues and eventually you can barely tell it there.
BLINGO! My thought as well.