Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Check this gear setup (Sorry I just want it right)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Check this gear setup (Sorry I just want it right)

Ok here are the results, first off this is my first attempt and I have been taking my sweet time trying to get this right.
This is my mockup set up with old pinion bearings but new bearing races, pinion shim is the stock shim ( single 34 thousandths). No crush sleeve or seal at this time.
Carrier has new bearings and 4:10 Motion gears, used the stock shims. Carrier is tight but will rotate by hand with some effort but won’t spin freely. Rotates easily by the pinion and smooth (single pass side 244 thousandths, single drive side 234 thousandths).
I have read all I can find on the ring gear paint pattern and it appears to be very good, how ever I’m getting 12 thousandths of backlash. What will be the results of running with this set up. Would it make gear noise or cause faster wearing issues and if so what can I expect from this set up.
I also checked my over run out on the carrier and it was only like 3 thousandths.

Is it unusual to set up a new gear set with all the old shims OEM, the rear end has been running 4:10 gears from about 4,000 miles and it has over 80,000 on it now.
I’ll post the photos again of the set up and I did check everything again this morning on the opposite side of the ring gear and it looks just the same.

I’ve got to start setting up the solid pinion sleeve now but I would really like to hear from some of you with any info.
By the way any advice on setting up the solid sleeve would be great too
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Check this gear setup (Sorry I just want it right)-dcp00502a.jpg   Check this gear setup (Sorry I just want it right)-dcp00505a.jpg  
Old 04-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default well from the pics i've seen

your pinion depth may be to deep causing the pinion gear to bottom out on the ring and maybe set ur backlash at 8-10 thousands but id say your almost there.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Default I don't see why

you can't use the original spacers as long as it ligns up right thats what matters.