Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Donut on factory driveshaft

Old 04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Donut on factory driveshaft

A few months back I had some work done on the rear end and recently the car started making a clanking noise. I climbed underneath it last weekend and found that there is a metal "donut" around the driveshaft in between the front yoke and the tranny that is just flopping around loose. Does anyone know what this is or if it is even supposed to be there? The only thing I could think is that it is some kind of dampener that had a rubber ring on the inside of it that came off and now just the metal donut that was holding it together is hanging off the drveshaftshaft after the rubber disinegrated.

Any help is appreciated as I need to make a decision of how to fix this and might just buy a new driveshaft since this is still the stock one.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmm...no metal donut on mine. Just looked at it this morning actually. Wonder what that's all about?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The more I look at the driveshaft the more I think it might not even be my original driveshaft. It looks like another stock driveshaft that has been sent out to be balanced because the balance welds are fresh and the name of the shop is written on it in marker.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The donut is a vibration damper. It's just a thick metal ring held onto the yoke with rubber between the two.
If you remove it you might get more gear chatter, which is just annoying not very harmful.
Some are balanced on the damper so removing it might throw the balance off too.

Search this Thread