Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

WTF are my pinion & tranny seals leaking so soon after replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default WTF are my pinion & tranny seals leaking so soon after replacement???

I had two tranny output shaft seals replaced mid-November of 2001, along with my pinion seal since they were leaking. This was done by a dealer after the factory warranty had expired.

The place that changed my oil yesterday indicated they are both leaking again. The same place didn't mention it to me when I last had the oil changed in early February. Would fluid loss cause howling in the rearend or shifting problems? My fifth gear has been acting up, but sixth is fine.

I guess I'm wondering if I should imply to the dealership that faulty parts and/or workmanship has caused abnormnal wear on other parts. I think they told me they don't have a warranty on seals, or something of that nature.

What would cause the seals to leak so soon after replacement?

<small>[ April 21, 2002, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: JimMueller ]</small>
Old 04-22-2002, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: WTF are my pinion & tranny seals leaking so soon after replacement???

My pinion bearing seal always weeps a little. Not enough to leave a spot on the driveway, just enough to make the rear housing look wet. My 97 did it , I replaced it twice. It continued to doit so I left it alone. My 00 did it, I had it replaced under warranty and now it does it again. IMO, if its not actually leaking where you can see it on the ground, leave it alone. If it leaked enough to give your rear end a noise, you would have a puddle of it where you park.

Paul
Old 04-23-2002, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: WTF are my pinion & tranny seals leaking so soon after replacement???

i just had my pinion seal replaced because it was blown and the dealer didnt give me the right seal to fit up to the new yoke that was put on and it ate right through it and started leaking in ten minutes. the dealer didnt have the right seal to go with the yoke they didnt even have the part number for it. they had to call gm to resolve the problem. make sure its the right seal for the yoke. thats probably not the problem though because if it was blown like mine was thered be a puddle on the ground.