Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt lasts 145 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy 10 bolt lasts 145 miles

I can't freakin believe this. I just had 3.73's installed a while back after having 4:10's that lasted a year. This time I thought I would break it in according to what I've read here to maybe decrease the chance of having loud gears. I drove it many times for pretty short distances and let it cool each time. Finally,I drove it 60 miles to work and back and got almost home when something just let go and it felt like the brakes came on and there was smoke and the awful smell of gear lube. I was able to limp home with a terrible noise(grinding of some sort) and now I don't know what to do. The shop that did the swap would not warranty the gears since I provided them,but I'm fairly certain this would be due to an improper set up. Does anyone have any clues as to what may have happened? Bearing/race not replaced,crush sleeve not crushed properly? Any help would be greatly appeciated?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Banned

Must be something about PSL. The used 3.73's that I installed did the same thing. The front pinion bearing siezed for a second and galled up the pinion shaft. Felt like the brakes were stuck for that second. It still drove after it freed up but sounded like a jet was flying over me.
I bought some new Motive gears and all new bearings, it's been fine since.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man, that sounds like it could be the culprit. I wonder if the guy didn't replace everything-I saw a bunch of parts that weren't used from the master install kit on a tray when I went to pick the car up. We'll see.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if the installer didn't install everything you PAID him to do, then it's his fault. make the bastard pay!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"10 bolt lasts 145 miles"

And you act surprised ??

.........just kidding. That does however, suck. If the tech cant show you the parts that he replaced during the build you almost have nothing to go on. If he cant provide you with those parts, then there is a chance that they wernt replaced ?? Well, yeah. but if you question it now, he'll say.... "I already threw the parts out" or even better..... that he goes out into the shop and somehow finds all of the parts in a box (as if magically they appear) to show them too you.

I will give them the benifit of the doubt, but my money is on that all the parts you paid for, were not replaced.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Well, it ended up being the pinion bearing as I expected based on what the fellow in the first response said. I bought the gears and install kit off this site new and all, but the owner of the shop won't warranty the parts because they should come with their own warranty. How can anyone prove what was really defective. I saw the chewed up bearing which partially seized and you can see how hot the pinion got at that point,ruining it. The installer said that maybe I got a bad set of bearings. What else could cause this? The gears made no noise at all up until this mishap. You'd think the shop would give me the benefit of the doubt,but they say I have to pay for everything again-$500. So,I'm trying to decide if I should just pay to have it done again or fix it somewhere else and sue them for the cost of the repair. Anyhow, thats the update. Thanks
Old 05-19-2006, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Sounds to me like the pinion bearing preload was way too tight. So either they didnt care too much or they were too lazy to pull out the pinion and install a new crush sleeve and try again. Once you preload it too tight you have to install another crush sleeve and start over. Preload too tight usually toasts a bearing really quick like your describing and usuallly doenst make noise until she goes.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Banned

Go to a different shop that one seems a little shady...
Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll second the pinion bearing pre-load being set too tight.

It still sucks though...
Old 05-24-2006, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

**** man that sucks. That is the problem with some shops they take your money and its never their fault. Its always production with some shops and they slap that **** together. I always do my own gear changes. Find a non crushable sleeve next time. A lot of shock can cause that crushable sleeve to crush some more and wipe out the bearing. Never happen to me on my cars I got 9"s but my trucks rear fucked up that way. After I installed a solid sleeve it never did it again. Doing my own gearing saves me big bucks (I have 4wd's too). Go to another shop. Good luck man!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Teching In

You shouldn't put used gears in a different rearend. Once they have broken in on one rear they won't form right to another.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smkeater911
You shouldn't put used gears in a different rearend. Once they have broken in on one rear they won't form right to another.
I concur! Used gearing is bad. Anyone can tell you that it didnt whine or whatever. Thats a huge chance you take.

Building a rear is a little tedious. If you are going to involve that kind of effort make sure you get new stuff. Just because Joe blow's car is fine doesnt mean your car will be. Then you will kick yourself in the *** later.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:34 AM
Banned

I've put used gears in several rear ends, mainly 8.8's and never had a problem with noise or breakage.
Since I'm the only one who has mentioned used gears I'm assuming you're talking about me. So how does used gears make a new pinion bearing go bad vs new gears making a pinion bearing go bad?
Old 05-24-2006, 06:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I've put used gears in several rear ends, mainly 8.8's and never had a problem with noise or breakage.
Since I'm the only one who has mentioned used gears I'm assuming you're talking about me. So how does used gears make a new pinion bearing go bad vs new gears making a pinion bearing go bad?
Naw man~ I will not do it at all. I will not install used gears into anyones car. I do my installs for free and to help educate do-it-yourselfers. I will not install used gears/bearings because if it breaks or noise whatever it makes it look as if my work was shitty. Its install man I believe it was the install. I myself will have nothing to do with used gears or any internal eng component. You can do what you like I am here not to fight. Put it this way yeah I could have made money off of old gears that I have changed in the past but I just trash um. Why take the chance if whoever comes back to me all pissed off. I just dont **** around with **** like that. Sorry if I pissed you off.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Naw man~ I will not do it at all. I will not install used gears into anyones car. I do my installs for free and to help educate do-it-yourselfers. I will not install used gears/bearings because if it breaks or noise whatever it makes it look as if my work was shitty. Its install man I believe it was the install. I myself will have nothing to do with used gears or any internal eng component. You can do what you like I am here not to fight. Put it this way yeah I could have made money off of old gears that I have changed in the past but I just trash um. Why take the chance if whoever comes back to me all pissed off. I just dont **** around with **** like that. Sorry if I pissed you off.
Dude are you ******* high or what. Who the **** is making money off selling used gears. I'm talking about putting them in my own ****, if they break who gives a ****. Don't ever ******* accuse me of selling people used gears as new.
And I'm not talking about used burned up take outs, I'm talking about low mileage stuff that was working fine and was taken out for a ratio change.

Your luck coincides with your abilities.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I had used 4.10's in for about three days, very bad Idea, car howled like a wolf, every installer for gears tells me always buy new, never used. Sorry about the sorry *** installer who didn't understand what he was doing.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
Dude are you ******* high or what. Who the **** is making money off selling used gears. I'm talking about putting them in my own ****, if they break who gives a ****. Don't ever ******* accuse me of selling people used gears as new.
And I'm not talking about used burned up take outs, I'm talking about low mileage stuff that was working fine and was taken out for a ratio change.

Your luck coincides with your abilities.
I have only had one of my gear installs fail (on my 4Runner) The crushsleeve fucked up. That was it. I have probably done 20+ plus my own rides.
I never accused you of selling use gears and if you did so what. I just trash them.
Im not high I cant do any drugs in the Air Force. Especially while working on acft.
I wasnt picking a fight. You are not the only one on this planet that uses used gears. Its your choice I dont care like I said it works for some and it doesnt work for others.
Dude you need to take a chill pill man seriously. Nobody is telling you not to do what ever you do man. I just turn out a quality install for free with new parts. It gives the owner a chance that doesnt have the tools or the experience to actually get involved in building up their car. Im sure you are going to post back and be all mean and **** until it turns to a pissing match and the **** gets locked. Correct?
Old 05-25-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have personally used, installed and sold used gears for years.... most with no problems.

But some with problems. Major problems. But they all got the same disclaimer and the same warranty. Yeah, its rolling the dice..... but some people just do that. but most of the time, used gears if set up correctly.... will work just like new ones.