Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My gear is Making a noise at decelartion?

Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My gear is Making a noise at decelartion?

I had a gear put in my 99, TA, A4 Sat. and I have a Small whine after I let off the gas from about 70mph to 50 The guy that installed it said That is normal.....WTF it didnt do it with the old gear? BTW its a 3:73...Alittle help here before I go back and talk Sh** to the guy. Its alittle mom and pop shop my brother swears by he has had about 5 gears put in by the same guy...None of his made any noise....WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Black Bird1
I had a gear put in my 99, TA, A4 Sat. and I have a Small whine after I let off the gas from about 70mph to 50 The guy that installed it said That is normal.....WTF it didnt do it with the old gear? BTW its a 3:73...Alittle help here before I go back and talk Sh** to the guy. Its alittle mom and pop shop my brother swears by he has had about 5 gears put in by the same guy...None of his made any noise....WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Is it a Richmond? They're known for it. When going with a steeper gear, it's going to happen now and then. Hop in my car with my 4.10 12 Bolt and you'll be glad your car is so quiet
Old 05-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Launching!

Its a Motive, talked to a guy last night who says its a "Lash Issue" So I am going to drop the pan and take a look at it and make sure that ever thing looks right....I think it is getting louder........
Old 05-17-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Bird1
Its a Motive, talked to a guy last night who says its a "Lash Issue" So I am going to drop the pan and take a look at it and make sure that ever thing looks right....
You're not going to find the ring and pinion in the tranny pan.

Just looking at the gears won't tell you anything. You would have to be measureing with a dial indicator gauge.

It is normal for gears to make noise. Basically anything thats not 100% stock has the potential to make noise on drive or coast...just the nature of the beast. If the noise gets really loud or really unbearable, just take it back to where you had it installed and tell them you are not happy.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by keliente
You're not going to find the ring and pinion in the tranny pan.

Just looking at the gears won't tell you anything. You would have to be measureing with a dial indicator gauge.

It is normal for gears to make noise. Basically anything thats not 100% stock has the potential to make noise on drive or coast...just the nature of the beast. If the noise gets really loud or really unbearable, just take it back to where you had it installed and tell them you are not happy.
Yeah Im not sure I said tranny Pan, But you are right The rearend "Cover" just to see, my dad has set up many gears and NOW he said he would check it "After I spent some money he wants to look at it" So I planned on Installing my LTs this weekend so just one more thing to look at. Good thing its just my " For fun car ".. And my brother has a 3:73 in his car and it dont make a sound.???

Search this Thread