Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another ABS/TCS Moser 9" problem (not caused by bumps)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
a dealer woudl be able to check that easily...by installing a new unit. If you have another one you can borrow, this is much easier and quicker then going crazy triing to find the culprit since you're already directed towards it being damaged.
Yeah and they would charge me out the ***, too. I don't have access to one that I can borrow...I just I am going to keep an eye out on Ebay. Any chance the ECBM for the LS1 is the same for the 3.8l cars provided both are 4 channel?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may find one from one of the guys whom delete it from out kits. Best bet is finding one from one of those guys if their original one worked. Ebay, you're going out on a limb. No warranty on electrical components. You don't even know if the one you receive would be working.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found another possibile "fix" that I might try. I sent a PM to bigdsz, who posted this quote below in another thread. I'll see what he says and maybe I'll try shimming the sensor AWAY from the ring instead of toward it. I had the plates already pressed with 1/2" studs already installed so I'm not sure if they were screw in's but seems likely.

Originally Posted by bigdsz
Concerning your 4 channel traction control, if you have screw in studs, they mess with the ABS sensor, and send false readings. The sensor will have to be shimmed out about 1/4" so it doesn't pick up false readings from the studs.
He posted this quote here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....52&postcount=4
Old 05-23-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
You may find one from one of the guys whom delete it from out kits. Best bet is finding one from one of those guys if their original one worked. Ebay, you're going out on a limb. No warranty on electrical components. You don't even know if the one you receive would be working.

Good luck.
I found a company on eBay that actually has a lifetime warranty on ABS modules. Now if they would just list one for an LS1 car.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

I discovered late last night that I DO have the screw in studs...so I guess I'll be giving the 1/4" shim idea a try and see what happens.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

SUCCESS! The problem apparently was the screw in studs, just as described by bigdsz. I shimmed each sensor about 1/4" and its working like a champ now.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

You suck.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by keliente
You suck.

Wish my fix would work for you but them's the brakes. <stupid pun intended>

Good luck man!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCRickSS
man!
woman, lol
Old 05-28-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

i got a pm from him a few months back..once i get back from deployment, im trying it out...how did u shimm it?? what did u use??
Old 05-28-2006, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

I was going to use metal washers but the hardware store didn't have any that fit without modification - I would have had to make them bigger diameter and then ground down the side to fit.

Instead I bought package of rubber hose washers (the kind that fit inside a garden hose). I also bought a longer bolt to hold the sensor in place and 4 washers for the bolt as spacers for that part. I put two hose washers on each sensor and then used the 3 bolt washers as shims for the bolt (I had to grind the bolt washers a tiny bit to allow the bolt to go straight into the backing plate). The hose washers fit great - just stetched them out slightly to fit over the sensor and it is working like a champ now.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to use metal washers but the hardware store didn't have any that fit without modification - I would have had to make them bigger diameter and then ground down the side to fit.

Instead I bought package of rubber hose washers (the kind that fit inside a garden hose). I also bought a longer bolt to hold the sensor in place and 4 washers for the bolt as spacers for that part. I put two hose washers on each sensor and then used the 3 bolt washers as shims for the bolt (I had to grind the bolt washers a tiny bit to allow the bolt to go straight into the backing plate). The hose washers fit great - just stetched them out slightly to fit over the sensor and it is working like a champ now.
I cleaned out my 9", and put the axle back in, so that is straight on my car now. I'm still having the same problem that you were having with my ABS/TCS sensor though. I also have the screw in studs on my 9". I kinda understand what you did, but if you get a chance would you mind posting up pics of the rubber washers, etc. that you used, and how they went on the sensor? Sounds like that is what I need to do, and it would really help me out.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Attached is a quick pic of one already installed but should be good enough. Also, FWIW the 2 replacment bolts I got were 6mm-10x25mm according to the wrapper.

You can see the two rubber washers (brownish color) around the main sensor. Also, if you look at the bolt there is one washer on the outside of the bracket and there is some electrical tape behind the bracket. The electrical tape is just holding 3 washers together that are sitting behind the bracket.

I forgot that I used the tape to make it easier to bolt on...the stupid washers wouldn't stay lined up so I put 2 pieces of tape over them to holdem long enough to bolt. I'm sure there is a nicer looking way to do it but I had thought that no one would ever see it...oops...until now. Oh well.

Basically you are just creating space between the sensor and the backing plate that it rests against. The two rubber hose washers slide all the way onto the sensor. The 3 extra bolt washers (behind the tape) make that the same amount of space created for the bolt so everything stays the same distance from the plate.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails Another ABS/TCS Moser 9&quot; problem (not caused by bumps)-abs-sensor-hack.jpg   Another ABS/TCS Moser 9&quot; problem (not caused by bumps)-abs-sensor-hack2.jpg  

Last edited by KCRickSS; 05-31-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the pictures! I'm gonna try this out. I'll post up the results.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wink

I wish I would have read this post before buying bigger tires and rims, when I do get a 12 bolt it will not have the ABS. Thanx SJM for all of your superiour knowledge and suggestions.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

The hose washers fit great - just stetched them out slightly to fit over the sensor and it is working like a champ now.
How did you get the sensor out? Did you have to take of the rotor and loosen the backing plate? I couldn't just pull mine out, just curious.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyws6
How did you get the sensor out? Did you have to take of the rotor and loosen the backing plate? I couldn't just pull mine out, just curious.
All you have to do is take the 1 bolt out that holds the sensor in, and then pull the sensor out. Shouldn't be hard to pull out.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

The rubber washer on mine is getting caught up on the rearend. That sux
Old 06-02-2006, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

I was able to get the sensor out, (cut a little of the side with a sharp chisel). I spaced them out just like it is shown above with 2 rubber washers and 3 metal ones (ground to fit) and I took it for a little spin and the low trac light still came on. I didn't get to drive it much so I will try again tomorrow and post my results. Hopefully that was just a fluke and the fix works for me too.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

DIDN'T WORK FOR ME! Problem still persists. This makes driving this car so frustrating. Any other fixes out there? What should be my next step?