Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

? About older 12bolt........

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? About older 12bolt........

I have access to a couple of older 12 bolts. FOr a very reasonable price. As far as I know they are older ones. Wondering if it would be worth purchasing and what it would take to adapt them to our cars. I sayu reasonable let just say there will be no exspense. So with that being said what would it take to adapt them . I do know they are coil design not leaf spring design.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our cars use a torque arm mount that is built into the casting, it would not be practical to try to adapt an older housing. Bob
Old 06-17-2006, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than the torque arm is the bolt up the same. Springs, Shocks, axel width, etc. or will there need to be some fabrication. I have acces to any welding equip. I need and running a shop I can pretty much fab it anytime.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by khris99s
Other than the torque arm is the bolt up the same. Springs, Shocks, axel width, etc. or will there need to be some fabrication. I have acces to any welding equip. I need and running a shop I can pretty much fab it anytime.

Ahhh...... in a simple answer, No.

Spring, shock location, panhard, width... etc, is far from the same. The housing will most likely need new perches, shock mounts and depending on the 12 housing you have.... it might need to be narrowed or you might need a different offset wheel to make up for the difference in width. And then lets hope its not a 'truck' 12bolt either. Then it will need to be straightened and mocked up for a torque arm of some kind.

Back in the day, we used Summers Brothers 12 bolts in 84 and later f-bodies. The torque arm mount was actually part of the rear cover. It worked really, really well..... but good luck in finding one of those. They were mainly available to the race teams in our series only. Although we did transplane a few into street chassis......

It can be done, but the time and expense isnt practical as previously stated.