Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Building a rear end (9")...???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Building a rear end (9")...???

I have access to a basically free 9" out of an old 70's Ford, with drum brakes. I can get another complete 10 bolt with brakes, etc...

Is there a link to "building" a 9" with 4 ch. abs anywhere? I think I could pull it off!

Has anyone done it here? Talk to me about it...
Old 07-18-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understand it's a big job and you have to be a good welder to get the springs perches and torque arm and LCA brackets and shock brackets in the right place. The pumpkins from back in the '70's were a gray cast iron not as strong as the nodular iron used today. The only positive I can see is price vs alot of negatives.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Not worth it in my mind. Its one thing to nab a 9" your self and put it in a older camaro, jeep or pickup but to put it in a 4th gen f-body isn't very realistic
Old 07-20-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Its difficult not impossible..You need special tools that will cost more than buying a Moser... there are techniques that are used to maintain axel centerline after all welding is complete this has been covered 1000 times in this section please use the search feature or check out the rear end FAQ ...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Question

Good point on the strength and weight.

uhhhhh... you just told another person to use the search feature as well... the most useful thing was EPP saying that it can warp when welding in the sticky.

So saying that I can jig it up, has anyone here done this, or made a write-up on it? I have not seen one, have you? I'm just tossing some ideas around before I blow up my rear end...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

There are no write-ups for it.

I would just bite the bullet and get a new, built 9 inch. Everyone is always trying to save a dime when it comes to rear end but the biggest money saver is just getting it right the first time.