Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle Seal Leakage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axle Seal Leakage?

well i have a few miles on my 9" now, and yesterday when i was washing my car, i noticed some oil on my passanger side rear rim. i didn't think much of it, but when i got home, i decided to throw the car on stands and torque everything again and just do a general inspection.

well when i took off my tire, my brake on that side had oil all on it as well. it appears as if it's coming out of the seal where the axle comes out of the housing. is this normal? or was the rear filled too much and it just came out there for some reason??...the weird thing was it didn't smell like gear oil at all, wasn't thick and nasty like some 90wt or something along those lines?...any input would be great. i bummed a ride with a friend today to work cause i don't want to drive it until i find out it's no big deal or something

Scott please chime in or call me back!

thanks!
-Matt-
Old 07-18-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing to do would be to pull the axle out on that side and inspect the seal. If it looks worn then replace it. Be sure to use locktite on those four bolts that hold the axle in, and tighten those nuts good when you reinstall it. I had the driver's side axle walk out of my 9" a few months back, and it wasn't fun.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the rear end is only a month old, if that. rear ends are one thing i don't know much about, that's why i paid to get it all built for me....

i cleaned it all up and threw my wheels back on and drove it around a little earlier. if more oil and crud starts coming out i'll be take it out...maybe it was just a fluke?