Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" rear end gear whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" rear end gear whine

This is actually on a 3rd gen camaro, but should still be the same concept and what not. My car has a moser 9" with a 3.90 gear and a detroit trutrac installed all assembled by moser. The car runs great, but only under slight throttle I will get a whining noise from the rear end. I'm not sure how to describe the loudness of it, but it's definitly noticeable inside the cabin. With the radio at a moderate level you can't hear it. If I'm going say 40 mph and completely let off the gas and just let the car coast there is no noise whatsoever, if I just push the pedal far enough to keep the car at a constant speed or slightly accelerate I will hear the whine. If I push the gas down a little more the whining appears to stop or at least quiet down. ( I can't tell because of the exhaust noise )

A few friends have seen and heard and it a few said it's normal with a 9" and that gear, others said it shouldn't make any noise, some said don't worry about it, others said fix it. I checked the fluid level and it's fine and fairly clean. I'm looking for opinions on whether this is normal or not and if it's something I should worry about? If I have the cutout open ( basically just before the rear end ) I can't hear the whine, with it closed I can hear it. Opinions / advise?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh, it's fine, if you can deal with it, don't worry about it. That is normal for a 9" assembled by Moser. Apparently they don't know wtf they are doing because every center that comes from them has that howl you are talking about. I had a Moser 9" center when I first ordered my 9" 4 months ago, I hated the noise so I ordered a new 9" center from Scott @ DLS, fixed me right up. Dead quiet. The noise you are hearing is completely normal for a Moser assembled center, it isn't going to break or hurt anything except your ears.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for!