Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What is this noise? Posi going out? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is this noise? Posi going out? HELP!

Ok, this has been going on for a pretty good while, I would say like 2-3 months, maybe more. When I back up with the wheels cut something is making a creaking noise. When I back up straight, its not as bad, or doesn't do it at all. Taking off forward isn't as bad or doesn't do it at all.

I thought it could be the posi unit going out (spider gears) but this part doesn't make sense to me:

When I am pulling in or out of my street there is a slight drop off or up, depending if I'm coming in or out. Anyway it makes a creak then as well, I go at an angle FWIW. It also will make some noise when I hit a bump sometimes, and today I went over a railroad track real slow and there was a creak.

If the rear was going out it wouldn't make these noises at the times it is would it? I understand the backing up or taking off part while tuning or just straight. But just driving or coasting with no load, hitting a bump or crossing a dip and the noises? Makes me think it's something else all together. Torque arm? Swaybar? LCAs? U-Joint? I am STUMPED

Oh yeah, during this whole time that I've been hearing it, I have been to the track 4 times or so, and have made multiple passes on the street as well. I'd bet I've made 100 WOT runs to the top of 4th gear. I just started babying it this past sun thinking it might be the rear
Old 07-27-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id check the torque arm and control arm bolts first. I dont think a creak over bumps is necessarily a sign the rear is going...
Old 07-27-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Id check the torque arm and control arm bolts first. I dont think a creak over bumps is necessarily a sign the rear is going...
Yeah I know, but sometimes I can feel some play or slop that is taken up when I start to take off/back up And it sounds awful when I back up with the wheels cut all the way Like right when I let out the clutch and the force is applied to whatever is doing it, it makes the sound, then it stops for the rest of the time I am moving, it's just on the initial movement.

I am going to a guy I know that has a muffler, brake, tire, small repair shop and get it up on the lift and try and figure it out from there. Just hoping for some ideas on things to check. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiosity, did you put any limited slip additive in the rear? I know it says you dont technically need it, but certain oils may leave the differential a little bit loud when turning. Try adding 4 oz of LSD additive and see if it goes away.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brian don't worry about the rear end. Pull the cover off of it and just look for any pieces in the bottom of the chunk(probally won't be any) and change the fluid and add some more additive and button it back up. I really doubt that it is the limited slip making the racket. If it is then its time for a full spool. Let me know if I can help with anything.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Guys the problem has been resolved! I got it up on jackstands this afternoon and went over all the fasteners tightening them up. Everything was pretty good with the exception of the bolts attaching the torque arm to the rearend, they were only "snug". So I cranked them down and it feels like a different car. Has a very tight feel to it again, no noises, sloppy feeling or anything!

Bryan, I am gonna pull the cover off tomorrow and change the fluid in it. I'm gonna get a pump to fill it this time, **** on squeezing the damn bottles for 30 mins like we did last time