Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ok am I getting screwed

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok am I getting screwed

ok so i just found out my car more then likely has a v6 rear what i was wondering is what rear gear ratios do Firebirds , Trans Ams and WS6s have on an auto tranny plus if you all can give me the sway bar sizes for the same thing id appreciate it ... i think i was screwed over when they repaired my car.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

common guys i can really use the help here and i need to know cause im taking it in tommorow morning im so pist off it aint even funny
Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 PM

3:23 gears in the auto cars. I don't think all the V6 cars go positive traction rears though.

I think the stock rear sway bar is around 20 mm or so. It's small.

Ben T.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya i bought my 94 formula.. someone put a regular v6 rear on it.. but had the brakes from a v8.. tricky *****
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

seriously dude cause they changed this for me almost 2 years ago but everytime id go talk to the manager hed either not be there and not return my calls and so they went under new management and then told me they couldnt do much but i didnt complain but i dynoed my car this past weekend and as they hooked it up they asked me if it was wrecked and i said yea wrecked it twice and replaced the rear axel why and the dude said the sway bar was off a v6 it looked really small he said and i litteraly got pist off so i figured the whole rear axel was off a 6 since that danm the howls alot every now and then and this has been going on since last year so now they told me to take it in tommorow to check it but im not gonna stand to get my eyes poked twice man thats why as much info u call can give me would be greatly appreciated and thanx to those who have already posted.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 95 that had the 3800 with the performance package in its previous life and it had 3:42's from the factory. It was an option
Old 08-06-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Trans_Am05
seriously dude cause they changed this for me almost 2 years ago but everytime id go talk to the manager hed either not be there and not return my calls and so they went under new management and then told me they couldnt do much but i didnt complain but i dynoed my car this past weekend and as they hooked it up they asked me if it was wrecked and i said yea wrecked it twice and replaced the rear axel why and the dude said the sway bar was off a v6 it looked really small he said and i litteraly got pist off so i figured the whole rear axel was off a 6 since that danm the howls alot every now and then and this has been going on since last year so now they told me to take it in tommorow to check it but im not gonna stand to get my eyes poked twice man thats why as much info u call can give me would be greatly appreciated and thanx to those who have already posted.
Whoa whoa whoa, let's get a couple things straight here.

1. A 10 bolt is a 10 bolt, the same rear that came under V6 cars is the same one that came under V8s. The only difference is that *some* V6's did not come posi. But, that would NOT make your car howl.

2. How can he tell it's a V6 swaybar? The V6 rear swaybar is 17mm, and the LS1 rear swaybar is 19mm...I don't think the difference is that noticeable just by looking at it without another for comparison! They are both small.

3. Even if it is a V6 swaybar, like I said before, that doesn't mean that rear came out of a v6.

4. If it is howling then there is a problem with the way it was setup. Either the backlash isn't right, the pinion depth is screwed up, or one of your bearings has started to go bad.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:19 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

These rear-ends were originally installed in the Chevy Monza and the S10 mini pick-up. Sooner or later these pathetically undersized rear-ends are going to howl, that is expected, unless you never get on your car... Bob
Old 08-07-2006, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gun5
ya i bought my 94 formula.. someone put a regular v6 rear on it.. but had the brakes from a v8.. tricky *****

Dude... you are clueless. Stop shouting about how you got fucked. Only possible issue that matters to you is whether it has a working posi. 2 wheel burnouts or just one? Gear ratio is irrelevant; there were a wide range of ratios available stock, and V6s might have had most of them. As for the swaybar, did the person who made that comment use calipers, or just eyeball it? Stock V8 swaybars look tiny too.

As for howling... used parts is used parts. If you paid for a swap from another vehicle, you get the problems it had. On the other hand, if you had new gears installed in your housing, depending on the ratio, they should have been set up to be fairly quiet at first. Some ratios/manufacturers tend to whine a bit over time, and a LOT of them whine when you beat on it.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Studytime
3:23 gears in the auto cars. I don't think all the V6 cars go positive traction rears though.

I think the stock rear sway bar is around 20 mm or so. It's small.

Ben T.
All V8 f-bods came w/ posi rears. Standard gears are 2.73 for A4 cars, 3.42s for M6 cars. 3.23 was an option for A4 cars, and it was a "mandatory option" on SS and WS6s w/ A4s. There was no optional ratios offered for M6 cars.