Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 8.8 questions(flange)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:31 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ford 8.8 questions(flange)

Hey guys, I bought a ford 8.8 rear from a member on here back in march. I'm assuming it was built by Extreme. Well, I had a steel driveshaft made for it with 1330 joints and so forth. Ever since I installed it, I've had a bad vibration as low as 50 mph to 80 and over, only getting worse. My main question, which will help eliminate some factors is about the companion flange. I want to get rid of it and replace the flange with a standard style yoke with straps. When I do this I'll replace the steel ds with my stock aluminum ds. Has anyone done this? and where do I get the yoke?.....
Next part, when I do get the new yoke, I'm assuming it will have a 1350 style ujoint size. Excuse me for being ignorant on ujoints, but can I put a 1350 ujoint in my stock ds without machining. Is the cap of the stock ujoint the same diameter as a 1350, because I noticed the 1330 that mated to my companion flange had a smaller diameter cap. BTW I've adjusted the pinion angle and the vibration is still there, read almost all of that old post about vibration issues. Looking for help
Paul
Old 08-10-2006, 07:09 AM

Yes, you can get a "conversion" u-joint that's stock/1350, so that's not an issue.

The problem is more than likely pinion angle. Do you have an adjustable torque arm?

Ben T.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:30 AM
12 Second Club

Yup, I've got a bmr TA. I really just wanted to use my stock aluminum ds on the street and go back to the steel if I go to the track. So the reason to switch isn't just to cure the vibration, but it will rule out the ds when completed. I adjusted the pinion angle and it helped a little but I went from one end of the spectrum to the other and then back to the middle and it was still there.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 PM

Adjusting it that far out may have killed either your u-joints OR pinion bearings.

Ben T.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, the pinion bearing(outer) is one thing I was looking into. I was going to inspect that when I changed the flange to a yoke. As far as the ujoints, they very well could've been overextended. Those two things will be solved once I change back to the old driveshaft. Another thing I haven't told anyone, which will probably end up being the problem, is the steel ds being an inch too short. This is totally my fault as I took measurements before i bolted up my sway bar and got the pinion angle nailed down. I know, I know I'm an idiot, and probably should of told you that in the begining. Oh well, we live and learn. I know there was a guy on here that had an 8.8 from extreme and had alot of problems with it(broken TA mount) but I dont know his name. It looked like he changed to a yoke after looking at some pictures. Thanks for the info though.
Paul