Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my posi toast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my posi toast?

I'm about 99% sure it's my posi, just looking for a little confirmation. Car bucks and bangs like a wild banshee going around corners if I'm on the gas. However, if I push the clutch in and coast around corners it's as if there is nothing wrong. Classic sign of toasted posi, or something else?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, your posi isn't toast, your posi is a posi

Ok sorry for the lame joke, it's early. Yeah I would think that is a pretty good guess. Looks like it's time to start thinking about a 12 bolt/9 inch!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

same thing happend to me too. it all started at the track. whenever i turned on the gas, mine felt like a car ramming into the back of me. i drove home 3 1/2 hrs from the track, sweating bullets the whole time fearing my rear would lock up. i too would engage the clutch while turning and no noises present, maybe a clunk when straightened out and given gas. when i got home and tore it down, there were nice fingernail size chunks out of my spider gears, but luckily the ring and pinion were fine.

do not do what i did and waste money into fixing the stock rear end. i couldn't afford a built rear at the time and ended up putting an auburn posi back in which i continued to break 3 more times so i forced myself to charge a built rear. so if you enjoy racing or banging gears with your manual car, do it right the first time and spend the money on replacing it with a better part.

me---->
Old 08-20-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah same problem here.... trying to find a cheap *** stock one for the time being cause i already have blown 3 stock ones, going to a built one whenever i can get the money
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

quick question, how bad is it to drive the car like that i gotta drive it to put it away for the winter or back to my house from the dealer cause i not having them fix it