Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Posi Dead? need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Posi Dead? need some advice

I've done a decent search around for symptoms of a posi on its way out or totally out, but I'm not convinced.

Yesterday I was leaving work and couple of the guys were yelling for me to spin them up. Of course I obliged but I did a casual rolling-drop clutch and rev dump as I left. When I looked back the right wheel was spinnin up a storm, but I did not look at the left wheel. Of course today I went to inspect what was supposed to be two black streaks but only one was there. So now this has me wondering because I've been to the drag strip a few months back and I would do a quick spin-them-up to clean off the tires before staging. The car would get sideways while doing this so I assume both are spinning. Could it be the fact that I was slightly turning right when pulling out of my work that made only one spin? I also do not here any strange noises except for a slight whine but no clunking of any kind.

I had the fluid changed last year with royal purple oil that has the additive for posi's. At the time, the guy also added in the GM additive. Was this too much additive? Could this cause my issue? Obviously going outside and spinning them up dead straight would solve my question but I'm just curious what everyone thinks.

-Brian
Old 08-17-2006, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory 10 bolt posi sucks. The occassional one wheel peel is normal, especially if you was turning. It is probably just showing it's age.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

good and bad to hear. Luckily the people watching were on the side where it was spinning lol. Thanks for the reply. Anyone else?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the clutches are probably a little worn out. Not a big deal really. From here consider your options...if you are going to be drag racing a lot start saving for a 12 bolt. If it's strictly street, consider one of the auburn posi's that are around $500, they have a warranty also.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

I rarely drag race so no real need for a 12-bolt even though it would be nice to have one for assurance. An auburn posi sounds like a good option though. I will have to look for a place that can install it for me. Thanks.

-Brian