Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12-bolt Experts, Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 12-bolt Experts, Need Advice

Ok....so here's the story. I've gone through about 5 sets of gears on my '02 WS6 Convertible M6....but it only has 24K miles.

A) I don't drag race my car or beat it. It's been to the strip 2 times in it's life and maybe 10 passes total.

B) I live at 5300 ft in altitude. I've dynoed my car here at 242 rwhp...it's not like I'm putting down power that would be ruining gears.

C) I've had the gears go out with 1,000 miles on the car and replaced under warranty. Now I was breaking the car in at this point so I had never gunned it or dropped the clutch.

D) I replaced the carrier and no difference....still ate up the gears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My conclusion is that my rear end housing is crap (good ol' GM quality and everything).

So now it's time to bite the bullet and get a Moser 12-bolt with TCS, ABS, 4.10's and the aluminum cover. Here are the questions.

A) The 33 and 35 splines are stronger. BUT are there any dissadvantages to them like more noise or more power loss?

B) Should I get Sphoon adjustable control arms, panhard rod, and/or torque arm? It's always a plus to get these, but do I NEED them now or can I get them later. I'm in between jobs right now, so the extra money isn't exactly flowing.

C) They said I needed some 3" muffler claps for the swaybar to fit. Anybody have suggestions/pictures of this? Any other options?

D) Anything else that I should know or plan for? I eventually plan to put something like an LS7 down the road....so I'm looking at 400-450 rwhp at altitude. Won't be for many years, but I like to plan ahead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all your help. I know there are a bunch of threads, but I have a lot of specific questions and I wanted to rant on my crappy factory rear end.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are making the right decision.

There is no disadvantage to more splines - no more noise or power loss. It will just be stronger. I went with regular 31 spline and had no problems, just to save a few bucks.

About the muffler clamps - it is more simple than you imagine. Look at your 10 bolt and how the rear sway bar attaches to it - it's just a big u bolt that is welded to the housing. You would be putting your exhaust clamps in the same place on the 12 bolt and securing the sway bar just like that.

Here is my 12 bolt with the exhaust clamp so you get the idea.

If you want to do suspension, that's great. However I would skip the torque arm until it is absolutely necessary. A panhard rod/control arm setup is great, you'll stick to the road a bit better with only a touch more noise, if that. But a torque arm, in my opinion, is a bit of a burden. I had a UMI tunnel mount brace. Sure it made the car hook like hell, but I could NOT deal with the constant banging that is normal of that arm. It feels like the car is broken, like it's an old piece of crap. Also, being tubular, it transmits a lot of noise. Things you've never heard before suddenly are really loud. I ended up going back to a stock stamped torque arm because I simply couldn't deal with the noise.

You can do suspension at anytime. You would have to remove the LCAs/panhard rod to install the 12 bolt - but that's not a difficult job at all, you could knock it out in a half hour sometime down the road if you don't have a lot of cash right now.