Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Detroit Tru Trac Diff...anyone Got It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Tru Trac Diff...anyone Got It?

i have a moser 12bolt with the detroit tru trac differential, and its got a **** load of play. when twisting the driveshaft back and forth, u can twist it close to 45degrees before lockin up/turnin the tires. also too, when up on a lift, you can turn one of the tires both ways and the other tire doesnt move(it turns right away for a slight moment then stops) i thought when u turned a tire one way the other tire is supposed to constantly turn the other way? but anyways, the loose play between the differential turning forward and reverse is causing clunkin noises between accel and decel. u can feel the clunk goin from accel to decel(lettin my foot off the throttle pedal), and goin from decel to accel. most of the time at high speeds it drives fine with no or minimal clunkin noises. is this a deffect in the diff, or is this normal for the tru trac? i was told by sum people that these have sum play due to no preload or sumthin like that. but still it feels like **** and drives like **** when daily driving. please gimme sum input thanks
Old 09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

i have the same problem with mine.

T.T.T
Old 09-02-2006, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

I dont have it yet but should have it with-in a couple weeks......but mine's for the 10bolt
Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the same thing. Little "clunking". Mine is during coasting though at the point of loaded and unloaded. Same thing with spinning the one tire while it was in the air. Turning the driveshaft both wheels go though. I thought something was up too after the install.

Both wheels definitely spin. Backlash within spec as well as gear tooth engagement.

Car launches,drives, and turns fine.

I think it just may be the way they are. A guy I know with a 4.6 Mustang GT put a TruTrac in his rear and experienced the same "slop".
Old 09-04-2006, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

I also have the same problem. So I guess this is normal then?? I'm glad I was shown this tread, because I was going to pull the rearend apart tomorrow morning and inspect/rebuilt it to fix the slop. Just let me know either way.

Donnie
Old 09-04-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

strange, mine is nice and tight, although for a 12 bolt.. i dont even notice it's there. just bury the throttle and both spin.. and when i turn one wheel forward, the other goes forward too. how long have you guys had yours?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines in a Strange 12 bolt. It's been like that since day one. I installed it after destroying my eaton.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

I thought I checked mine when I installed my rearend and I it was tight. The entire rearend was brand new so maybe after the break-in period it loosens up. Oh by the way mine has been in about 5 months and only seen street time so far with about 550 rwhp.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Also mine's in a 9". I chirps a little when I go around a corner and give it a little gas. But I think that's probably normal. Other than that it's worked fine except for the slop I just noticed.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Turbo T/A
I thought I checked mine when I installed my rearend and I it was tight. The entire rearend was brand new so maybe after the break-in period it loosens up. Oh by the way mine has been in about 5 months and only seen street time so far with about 550 rwhp.
thats wierd....mine was the same way. after install it was tight and drove fine for the break-in period, then around 1000miles is when i noticed it got sloppy and loose as hell. i dont kno why it would loosen up after breakin it in?????
Old 09-05-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure about clunk, I think I had a clunk with a 10 bolt so I don't have any extra noises with this one. Mine is a 35 spline unit, and has done well road racing it hard, and 1.6 5500 rpm launches. That is all I can say about that.

Quick Reply: Detroit Tru Trac Diff...anyone Got It?