Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Third member..aluminum or iron?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Third member..aluminum or iron?

I am getting ready to order my Moser 9in. and was wondering if i should get the regular iron case or the aluminum third member? Is the aluminum third member any weaker? I would like this set-up to be able to handle 1000rwhp and drag strip abuse. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posed this very question to a guy from Moser a long time ago, and he said they have never seen one of the aluminum third members break. Bob
Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well... at that power level... I have.

Do yourself a favor if you do an alloy third... get a thru bolt case.

The majority of the failed alloy cases I have delt with were from Moser and the remainder were a few of the non-thru bolt, lighter weight Strange cases.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:41 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by chicane
Well... at that power level... I have.

Do yourself a favor if you do an alloy third... get a thru bolt case.

The majority of the failed alloy cases I have delt with were from Moser and the remainder were a few of the non-thru bolt, lighter weight Strange cases.
I've never heard of this before, do you have any pictures? Thanks. Bob
Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gee, Bob... no. I sure dont. I didnt really think about that some 14 years ago when I first saw one turned into scrap.

Then again... I never really thought we be discussing this on the internet way back then either (since it was in its infancy) or I would have just clicked away for you. If you have never heard of this... I am sure I could turn you over to some friends of mine in the business that will tell you the same thing. You can start off by calling Mark Williams, Jack Christman, Jason Hughes, Donnie Araki, Ray Currie, Mark Lintner... the Summersbrothers, if they were still alive... Dave Samuels, Scott Hankel... let me know if you need some other contacts. Ya know, maybe they took some pictures for you.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:51 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

COMPLETE ALUMINUM CENTER SECTION
Save up to 14 lbs with a Moser Aluminum case. Our thru-bolted center is one of the strongest units on the market. Moser aluminum cases are made of 356-T6 aluminum with 7075-T6 aluminum caps and billet steel adjusters. They feature a super strong thru-bolt design to give the case increased strength and decreased ring gear deflection common in most aluminum case designs. All Moser Aluminum cases are drilled for the 3/8” stock pinion studs and 7/16” heavy-duty studs. Moser aluminum cases are designed to be used with either a standard pilot bearing with snap ring retention, or a heavy duty, wider pinion bearing utilizing button head bolts for retention is available. Step up to the best thru-bolted aluminum center section on the market! Bob
Old 05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, I'm sensing some tension in the room....

Please keep this little "Moser-War" going. It's quite entertaining seeing it in every other thread...
Old 05-04-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Step up to the best thru-bolted aluminum center section on the market!
Thats a LOFTY statement... if there has ever been a lofty statement spoken.

Please, lets keep this somewhere inside reality vice sounding like a dealer who consumes his own product... selling crack. You can sell it... just dont push it. My god man, its borderline false advertisement. You really need to diversify your product line and gain some applicable knowledge to this subject.

And yes Bob... sarcasm. I am full of it... and for good reason.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

thanks for the input guys
Old 05-05-2007, 06:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Thats a LOFTY statement... if there has ever been a lofty statement spoken.

Please, lets keep this somewhere inside reality vice sounding like a dealer who consumes his own product... selling crack. You can sell it... just dont push it. My god man, its borderline false advertisement. You really need to diversify your product line and gain some applicable knowledge to this subject.

And yes Bob... sarcasm. I am full of it... and for good reason.
This was taken right off of there website. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 05-05-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:26 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
thanks for the input guys
You're welcome! KP is running very low nines with a Moser 9 inch with the aluminum center, and he puts a ton of passes on it. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 05-05-2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you do is sit on here and pimp Mark Williams ****, so you have no room to talk. You are not a sponsor, nor work for Mark Williams (or maybe you do, and you are doing back door selling for them which is grounds for banning).

My advice to you would be to back up what you claim with pictures or documents because frankly your claims are looking false to everyone. You're talking about something that happened 14 years ago. You don't think they have refined their products or made them better? Look at the SBC motor from 14 years ago, to today. LT1 vs LS2. Big difference...
Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Gee, Bob... no. I sure dont. I didnt really think about that some 14 years ago when I first saw one turned into scrap.

Then again... I never really thought we be discussing this on the internet way back then either (since it was in its infancy) or I would have just clicked away for you. If you have never heard of this... I am sure I could turn you over to some friends of mine in the business that will tell you the same thing. You can start off by calling Mark Williams, Jack Christman, Jason Hughes, Donnie Araki, Ray Currie, Mark Lintner... the Summersbrothers, if they were still alive... Dave Samuels, Scott Hankel... let me know if you need some other contacts. Ya know, maybe they took some pictures for you.
Do you have any phone numbers to go along with these names?
Old 05-05-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt D
All you do is sit on here and pimp Mark Williams ****, so you have no room to talk. You are not a sponsor, nor work for Mark Williams (or maybe you do, and you are doing back door selling for them which is grounds for banning).

My advice to you would be to back up what you claim with pictures or documents because frankly your claims are looking false to everyone. You're talking about something that happened 14 years ago. You don't think they have refined their products or made them better? Look at the SBC motor from 14 years ago, to today. LT1 vs LS2. Big difference...
First and foremost, I am not dealer... nor do I work for Mark Williams... so your effort in pointing fingers is null. As for the Mark Williams subject, I dont need to pimp his product line... as it speaks for itself. My advice to you is, to spend some time in professional motorsports so that your inexperience doesnt speak so loudly.

My resume and experience have plenty of room to talk, being that of a drivetrain engineer and having delt with every aftermarket manufacturer over the past 18+ years. I have also been contracted to do specific failure analysis for many of the the OEM manufacturers as well as the majority of aftermarket. And for the record, my observation of this subject matter isnt something that happened just once 14 years ago... its just when I started noticing trends in specific components from various manufacturers. This isnt just limited to Moser either. But what you see and hear about on this forum alone... is more complaints about Moser than every other manufacturer combined. This isnt merely my theory... just look at the amount of threads yourself.

The only reason that you would even consider my claims as being false... is that you either are not old enough to actually know any better... or you havent been at the professional level long enough to understand the principal of this matter. Remember, these companies specialized in race car parts long before they started catering to the consumer markets. The stuff you use today was trickled down out of the race car world... so dont think this is anything new.

Do I think they have made the strides to refine their product and make them better ?? Well... yes, I surely do. But has it made that much of an impact in the last 18+ years ?? Not as much as it has for others in this business and I am sure that they are working on that... just like everyone else is. Why are you and everyone else stuck on the "14" ??

If there were any reason to why I would recommend any certain company over another is... that I have had the privilege to work with them all over the last two decades. I have also had the privilege to work within the industry in damn near every form of racing that deals with two or more wheels. I have personally been able to use and abuse, or have been witness to the use and abuse of damn near every kind of hard core part for differentials there is. Meaning... that I dont just pick up the phone and order an assembled product, pull it off of the palet and install it. The experience comes from doing FEA analysis on specific components, chucking up the material into a machine, its assembly and actually going into the real world and putting it to the test. Notice that there was no mention of 'salesman' in that sentence.

So let me ask you this... do you think that it would be in my best interest OR your best interest for me to sell you on something tangible, or intangible for sake of arguement, that wasnt the best product suited for your needs and/or requirements ??

When someone comes into a forum and asks...

Is the aluminum third member any weaker? I would like this set-up to be able to handle 1000rwhp and drag strip abuse.
... do you think I should just spew something out of my mouth just to make a sale ?? Or do you think I should steer them into what suits their needs the first time ?? Well now... why not tell them about the products that are typically and more commonly used in this application ??

It would be stupid not to advise anyone at that power level to what they should expect. Case in point. My answer was to simply... "Do yourself a favor if you do an alloy third... get a thru bolt case."
Old 05-05-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroextra
Do you have any phone numbers to go along with these names?
You can type them into Google... can you not ??

Quick Reply: Third member..aluminum or iron?