Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

F-body 10 bolt 2/3 series carrier question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-body 10 bolt 2/3 series carrier question

I have a 2000 Z-28 M6 which came stock with 3.42 and from my research a 3 series carrier. So with this info I ordered a set of Motive 3.90 gears that are supposed to be for 3 series carrier. I took the gears to have them installed and the installer said that the ring gear is too thick so I'm thinking that they have sent me a 2 series gear set. My question is what is the difference between the 2 series and 3 series carrier and is the 2 series ring gear thicker than the 3 series ring gear?
Old 06-03-2007, 04:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... they dont make a 3.90 gear set for a "2 series".

The difference between a 2 series and a 3 series is the ring gear flange height. If a ratio that is normally in a specific series, is then made for another with the intent of using the same differential carrier... they change the thickness of the ring gear. It can either be thick... or thin depending on which way it goes. For the most part, a gear set that would normally be used in the 3 series is then made for a 2 series... it is considered a "thick" gear set.

Since GM only makes a 2 and a 3 series for the 7.5/7.625"... its a 50/50.

They dont however, make a 2 series 3.90 gear set... so something is a-miss.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Banned

I just wonder if I may have the right pinion but somehow got swapped a ring gear for a different gear ratio out of a 2 series carrier... because it is possible the teeth count on the ring gear could be the same as my 3.90 with some other ratio gear for a 2 series carrier. Then again maybe the installer doesnt know what the hell he's doing... I'm going down there tomarrow and see what the heck is going on.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

OK, here is just a guess. It's a 2000 so its a Torsen rear. Instead of the pin, it uses a paddle to hold the axles in place. Installing a lower gear, like 4.10's, causes this paddle to not to fit back because the gears are thicker.

Some use the 4lb sledgehammer fix to get the paddle back in, but not recommended.
Some grind the paddle down to fit.
Some buy a paddle kit from vendors like SLP.

This is common with 4.10, never heard about 3.90 either way, but I'd guess that is the issue.

And chicane is right, it's a 3 series (no 2 series ever shipped on a manual), so that is most likely the problem.

Quick Reply: F-body 10 bolt 2/3 series carrier question