Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

NEED HELP! rear end is leaking after changing the fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! rear end is leaking after changing the fluid

I finished changing my rearend fluid and all was well until I found oil spots under my diff on the driveway. I used that permatex form-a-gasket non-hardening sealer. I am not sure if I used the wrong stuff or just didnt let it dry long enough before putting the cover back on. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:19 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I made the mistake of putting the sealant on the cover so when I put it on, it did not seal properly on that weird notch near the bottom of the housing. I switched to a new stock paper gasket and not a drop of a leak.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

The one I used said to put it the sealant on the cover and the diff. I will try just putting it on the diff and see what happens.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

clean the cover and diff well with a gasket scraper or brake cleaner or whatever, make sure it is dry when you apply the RTV (ive always used RTV with no paper gasket, just be generous with how much you put on, and i put it on the cover not the diff) and ive never had one leak.

your sure its the cover though? maybe you didnt tighten the fill plug up? or did you change your pinion seal?