Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend sounds like a jet engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend sounds like a jet engine

My rearend (stock 10-bolt 3.42s) started having a whining sound about a week ago and now it sounds like a jet engine winding up when moving at anything over 5 mph.

The sound is definately from the driveline, it gets louder or quiter, faster or slower, based on wheel speed but not engine speed or transmission gear. Got it lifted off the front wheels, no sound. Lifted the back and spun the wheels by hand, sounded like a popping sound from the diff housing.

I took it to a guy yesterday to check it out, and he checked it and says it's a pinion bearing needing to be replaced, but since he didn't have the right equipment to set up a new bearing set anyway, he didn't want to go through taking it apart and still not be able to fix it, so I don't even know if it is the front or rear bearing or maybe one of the carrier bearings.

So, a couple of questions:
1) Does it sound right that it would be a pinion bearing?

2) If it is a bearing, should I just buy one of the complete kits for ~$130 from SLP or someone and have all the differential bearings/seals replaced?

3) How much should this cost labor wise (hard to state with accuracy but I need to get an idea of how much I need to save up)?

4) Does anybody know a good shop around Charlotte, NC, that they would trust to do the work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by Aegnor; 08-01-2007 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tick performance is moving to mooresville next week, so you can catch up with them, they are gonna be in the same shop with Alvin at pcm4less, so you may want to check them out, I know Johnathan does good work.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always associated whining/whurrring noises with set up issues. And growling howling noises with bearing issues.

But I guess its possible. For just replacing the bearings, you shouldnt need to do a "set up" on the gears. Of course its a good idea to check, but for just removing and replacing bearings its not usually needed. Only thing you have to set up is pinion preload...and that just requires an in-lbs beam style torque wrench. Most mechanics have those.

As far as buying a rebuild kit... Im a big fan of the "while im in there" theory. haha. While you are in there... might as well replace the carrier bearings and all. Just to change the pinion bearing you are gonna need a new seal... might as well do both bearings and races on the pinion. Sooo... it might be a good idea to get a kit. $130 sounds pricey though. You can get the individual bearings in timken brand at autozone...along with the seal.

Can help ya on a shop as Im in PA... Good luck man!

Justin
Old 08-01-2007, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It turned out to be my pinion bearing. I just ended up getting gears and the install kit.

If your not doing gears you still should get the install kit and put all new bearings. It would suck to only fix the pinion bearing to have another bearing go out a little later. I went through exotic performance and got the install kit for $90. It was going to cost me around 400 in labor if I put gears or not so I just got gears.