Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend is whining, gear change wont fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend is whining, gear change wont fix?

my rear is giving me some whine at about 50+mph when i accelerate and im about to change my gears to 4.10s and the mechanic told me it wont fix the whine... is he just trying to cover if he makes a mistake? or is there something i can replace other than the gears and all the etc bs in the install that will fix it?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

If done correctly you should NOT have any whine.

Originally Posted by Silas2k
my rear is giving me some whine at about 50+mph when i accelerate and im about to change my gears to 4.10s and the mechanic told me it wont fix the whine... is he just trying to cover if he makes a mistake? or is there something i can replace other than the gears and all the etc bs in the install that will fix it?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have some rear whine as well so I've been researching this problem recently. It really depends whether the whine is being caused by worn gears. If it's due to ring and pinion wear then changing gears could fix the problem assuming everything is setup properly by the mechanic. 4.10's I think have an even higher tendency to whine though.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worn gear's huh... never heard or seen that one myself. Ring and pioion 'wear' is from a misaligned set up... to begin with. They dont just wear unless something causes them to change mesh.

Silas~ If he is making that statement now... he is just covering his own ***. Which tells me that he may not feel confident enough to set them up without any whine. But then again... just the mere thought of him making that statement does make sense... especially if he reads this board.

There is no ratio that makes any more noise than another. As it was stated by DynoDR... if it were set up correctly, you have an excellent chance of it being totally silent. But... this does has a lot to do with set up experience, and even some times, the parts you use. For instance, Richmonds tend to be more noise prone due to their Rockwell hardness... and some of the cheaper bearings fail sooner from hardness nad surface irregularities (micro spalling, etc).

I would recommend using an 85-140 weight oil as it gives you a much higher impact resistance and it tends to quiet things down. But its definately superrior mechanically before... any noise reduction.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

i have set up many rear ends, if there is noise the rear is set up wrong, setting up a rear end is an art form,