Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Posi problem?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi problem?????

Rearend makes noises when making a left or right turn from a stop also when i nail the gas from a stop it wants to go to the left but during a burnout i still leave 2 marks poisi maybe? also if it is can i replace it myself or do i have to mess with the gears? HELP PLEASE
Old 05-24-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Posi problem?????

nobody?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have adjustable LCA's on the car? If so, are they the same length and properly adjusted? If it spins both wheels, I suspect that it's working properly....Torsen had a Technical Service Bulletin about using posi additive to eliminate a "rusty screw" sound in some cars. Go to www.torsen.com and look at the FAQ section....Hope this helps....
Old 05-27-2003, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have adjustable LCA's on the car? If so, are they the same length and properly adjusted? If it spins both wheels, I suspect that it's working properly....Torsen had a Technical Service Bulletin about using posi additive to eliminate a "rusty screw" sound in some cars. Go to www.torsen.com and look at the FAQ section....Hope this helps....
Dont have the adj lca but i did change the cover last year and used redline but didnt add the additive both tires spin and lay a healthy patch with et.streets cant find nuthin loose so i guess ill give your idea a try cant hurt
anybody else? Thanx,Mike
Old 05-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Launching!

I agree with Trackbird. The additive is supposed to make a difference and I have heard of others who didn't add it, had noise, and then changed the fluid, used the additive and the noises went away.

As far as the car going sideways during a burnout, mine does that every so often depending upon the angle of the pavement that I am on. One other thing to look at is could your rear end have shifted? Is one tire closer to the front or back lip of the fender than the other is? I have heard a few people complaining about this in the past.

Just some thoughts.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't use posi additive, you will not hurt a Torsen, but they found that the additive will sometimes quiet a noisy diff that some cars seem to have....it's worth a shot.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-28-2003, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pulled off the rear cover and found broken teeth on the bottom to small to be ring or pinion teeth pulled the axles and there fine cant see the teeth in the posi unit though could it be the posi and how hard to change??please HELP!!!!
Old 05-29-2003, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

I have the same problem. No LCA's on mine either. It seems to be getting louder. I'll be pulling the cover this weekend. My car is a 98 SS, is this limited to certain years?
Old 05-29-2003, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had no problems till i went with the et. streets gonna play gonna pay i guess.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

It sounds like you are starting to see "Torsen Bits" in the rear end. I suspect that you are starting to crack some of the internal gears in the posi. I suspect that it won't be long and you'll finish it off. Good luck!