Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

which is better for street/strip, A4 or M6??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is better for street/strip, A4 or M6??

i see posts all the time asking about a swap from an a4 to an m6 and vice versa. so my question is, which is better? is it a matter of opinion or is one actually better for street/strip? i plan on doing a head/cam swap so would an a4 be better for that? would i have to get another verter? also which may save money? i hear a4's from the factory are rated for 450torque and m6's, well i've see alot of power on stock m6's. and neither tranny's are cheap nor are verter's and clutches. some insight to clear this confusion up would be appreciated. thanx
Old 05-29-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: which is better for street/strip, A4 or M6??

I feel a auto is better if you want to drag race alot. I have a m6 now and want a auto because I've been drag racing alot. Autos are usually faster at the track mod for mod. Considering one of your first mods is a good stall. they are also easier on the rear end. And will net you better 60's.

M6 is a must have if you are going to be roadracing or autocrossing. This will allow you proper gear selection for your needs at any given time.

As for the street thats personal prefrence. I like a M6 on the street it's more fun to drive. Thats why I bought the M6 to begin with.

Rob
Old 05-29-2003, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your worried about how your car profors at red lights and at the track go with the A4, if you deal with a lot of trafic, go with the A4. If you like to screw around with donuts and burnouts and the other stuff, go with an M6, weaving in and out of trafic, get an M6, freeway races and going from a punch, get an M6.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the a4 with a good stall is usually better from a dig and have better et's in a drag race.the m6 is better from a roll and have higher trap speeds.they say the a4 is quick and the m6 is fast.i have a m6 and if i knew then what i know now i would get an a4 with a vig 3,200 or 3,600 because i like to drag race. hope this helps some.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Launching!

i have a 2500 stall right now would that work ok with a head/ cam package? also what about that hp rating on the a4?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2500 is really too small for really good performance. The Vig 3200 would be a better choice.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

ive heard some on this board say a vig 3200 is too much for long term use on a stock a4 what you think?
Old 05-30-2003, 12:32 AM
Launching!

if you're asking me, i'm really not sure. i heard that the torque rating on a stock a4 is 450. i'm guessing that's at the crank, if so, that's not cool at all so i would guess 3200 is a bit much but i may be wrong. hopefully some others that really know alot about verters will chime in.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:21 AM
Launching!

More stall will help performance.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Drag --------> A4
Autocross ---> M6

I see the M6 getting the fun factor many times but as an ex-owner/owner of both a M6 and an A4, I have way more fun in my A4 with a high stall than I ever did in my M6. I was a die-hard stick shift fanatic but I couldn't ignore the advantages of an auto any longer. I don't like to autocross and my primary purpose is a very quick car.

Which one will be cheaper to mod is up in the air. The M6 will need a clutch fairly quick and they are also much harder on the weak rear. An A4 will need a good converter to really perform but that will last well into the 12's. Eventually you'll need a built tranny and start dipping well into the 11's and you'll need a rear end.

One thing I like about the A4 is you have options. There's such an assortment of converters out there you can tailor it to your preference. Add LS1 Edit and you can then adjust your shift points to your liking.

Honestly, decide what you really want the car for and that should start you off. If you can, take an M6 for a ride and then see if you can't find someone close with a stalled A4 and go for a ride. Then you can make a decision based on your personal experience and not what some guys told you on an Internet site.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a vig3200 stall on my stock 4L60E with a heavy duty haynes transmission cooler and the stock tranny has held up very well. I monitor my tranny temp at the drag strip with Autotap just to make sure it's not running too hot after so many passes. Cruising around my tranny temp doesn't go above 180F-190F. I have made passes on ET Streets, the tranny has held up well. Just make sure to preload the tranmission before launching on the stock A4 rear and you will be fine.

My mods are stall, headers, X-pipe, LS1Edit, and a small cam (218/222 .562.562). I run 8.1@87MPH on street tires (Falkens) in the 1/8 mile (1.87 60ft) and I make 325RWHP.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you plan on doing any bracket racing the a4 is the only way to go alot more consistent in the et department than the m6.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ditched my M6...the "fun" factor was not worth losing to cars with automatics and big converters that had less horsepower and mods.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

I was kicking my self in the **** when I got my a4. I was about to swap to an m6, when I really considered all the possibilities. I drastically changed my mind and put in a stall converter. I couldn't be happier ! The reason I did this is because, with the right converter, you can take the m6 from both a stop and a roll. It just depends on the STR, stall, and efficiency. With the m6, if you want to go fast, you have to replace the rearend, build up the syncros, and put in a heavy duty clutch.

With an automatic, you could spend that money on a heads/cams package and be way quicker. Bottom line, if you really want the max out of your car, you need a high stall auto, but if you just want to have some fun, get the m6.