Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end oil change?

Old 09-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end oil change?

I didn't see this question in the stickies, abd the search doesn't work on my phone. How often do you guys change/ add oil to the rear. Should it be done at a certain mileage tune up. What's the process like, sorry for the nub question. Any tech help is appreciated.

Cris
Old 09-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Launching!

take off hte rear end cover by tkaen the bottom bolts first loosen the top ones and pry slowly on the bottom till the fluid leaks out. when it stops pouring take off the rest of the bolts. till the cover is off. make sure you take off hte magnet on the cover and clean it all good no metal shavings. than clean the gasket rtv off the cover and the rear. i used carb cleaner idk if its safe or not but i hope it is lol so i sprayed the **** outta it than blowed it with the air gun getting every drop of old fluid out whil spinning the wheel making sure its out of every crevace. than i put a bead of rtv silicon around the cover bolted it back on opened the fill plug on top its 3/8 and got the hand pump put almost 2 bottles of mobil one synthetic 75/90 in it till it leaked out and closed it. idk what kind of rear you have but you mite need to add the posi or lsd additive mine is torsen so i dont think i needed it. it would also be a good time if oyu wanted to paint our rear cover whil it was off.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

I do it every 15 to 20k... might be overkill, might not.

My differential is perfectly clean inside unlike some of the pictures I have seen of people who never changed is at 80k w/ black crude on all the bearing caps... not sure if it will last longer.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Cool thanks guys, my car has 66xxx miles and I haven't changed the rear oil. Plus with the new mods I just got, it has to be done. Maybe the previos owner did it, but when I bought the car, it only had 28xxx on it, so prob not.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

GM recommends changing the rear axle oil the first 7500 miles, then every 50K afterwards.

SteveC

Search this Thread