Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What kind of noise does a rear end make when it's going bad?

Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default What kind of noise does a rear end make when it's going bad?

I have this noise coming from the back of the car. I always figured it was the tires, but now I'm not so sure. It'll make that *woosh...woosh* noise. It goes faster the faster I go, but after 40 or so I don't hear it, probably cuz of road noise, but I guess it doesn't get any louder or I'd hear it.

So what kind of noises do I need to look for? It makes this noise no matter what, coasting, acceleration, what's a bearing sound like when it goes bad?
Old 09-23-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't look for any noise or you'll drive yourself crazy!

There are a number of noises from whining to whirring to growling to grinding. They can be different things like u-joints, wheel bearings and differential problems. Don't worry about the noises until they become obvious.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Don't look for any noise or you'll drive yourself crazy!

There are a number of noises from whining to whirring to growling to grinding. They can be different things like u-joints, wheel bearings and differential problems. Don't worry about the noises until they become obvious.
Well the sound isn't too loud or annoying but the sound is def. there. I almost want to sell it, i don't want to spend 3k on a new 9". I love these cars but thats a lot of money...
Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

$3K? Nah. I'm building my own and I'm about $1600 into it, including the brand new Moser housing/axle package, new gears, and junkyard center section. Gotta pick up a couple cheapie items (~$100 total) and it'll be complete. I'll make a big walkthrough thread about it once it's all said and done.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

grrrr grrrrr kachunk kachunk and then a grinding grinding grinding noise and maybe some creaks and pops as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by revtime
grrrr grrrrr kachunk kachunk and then a grinding grinding grinding noise and maybe some creaks and pops as well.
ok so, it's a pretty obvious noise? ahaha
Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

O hell ya, it's obvious!! This does not necessarily mean the rear is going out, but in need of service. Any foreign particles in the rear end with dirty fluid will cause clucking and "kaclunking" sounds as you slow down. Take her in, have fresh fluid put in and see if this helps. Most of the time (normal street driving) it's just dirty fluid.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
ok so, it's a pretty obvious noise? ahaha
Well when you hear a big pop followed by a horrible grinding sound and your car stops moving I think you will know its going bad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What kind of noise does a rear end make when it's going bad?