Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

getting new 4.10's.... Richmond or Motive??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RoDan
False on the richmonds being stronger, they are more brittle. Get US Motive 4.10's not the Italian 4.11's, trust me.
Eh, I disagree. Every mechanic and track pro I've ever talked to always recommends Richmond. Every experienced person I've ever talked to says Motive's are junk. They're the cheapest gear you can buy. That tells me something.
Originally Posted by Silas2k
the general consensus on this board seems to prefer motive, i bought some but havent had time to get them in yet so i cant speak from experience, a lot say that richmond tend to make more noise
That's because they're by far the cheapest gear, and the general forum member holds price in a higher regard than quality. Most members on this board prefer Pacesetter headers. That doesn't make them better than QTP, Kooks or ARH.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:40 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shredded a set of 4.10 motives. I've had Richmond 4.10s for about a year now and still going...I'm sure they will break at some point too though..
Old 10-12-2007, 06:48 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Eh, I disagree. Every mechanic and track pro I've ever talked to always recommends Richmond. Every experienced person I've ever talked to says Motive's are junk. They're the cheapest gear you can buy. That tells me something.

That's because they're by far the cheapest gear, and the general forum member holds price in a higher regard than quality. Most members on this board prefer Pacesetter headers. That doesn't make them better than QTP, Kooks or ARH.
Motive has a few lines of gearsets, so if you are buying the cheapest ones for use in your drag car that would be your problem. The Performance gears and not "by far" the cheapest and are no where near junk.

As far as them being junk, you need to talk to more experienced people(not people with more experience, but different people with experience) because there are many very experienced builders using them happily. Also you would be surprised how many of the gears out there are just reboxed Motive gears.

Just like anything else people will have mixed experience with any product. Many people have come on here and expressed positive results with Motive, and you cant discard that. Just like if one person came on here and said that Richmonds sucked it would not make it true. Any gear in a 7.5 is a risk, if somebody has broken more than one it is time for a diff upgrade.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Launching!

ok after talking to some ppl i think i'm going to go with Richmonds... i previously had 4.10's and i have pretty much decided to go with 3.73's this time... how big of a difference is it going to be?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

what about strange? i havent really heard anything about them, and if i remeber correctly they were only about 170bux. i know they make some great axels and rear ends. what do you guys think?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

I have Richmond gears and a 6 speed Richmond tranny in my 69. If you have a problem with any Richmond product and it is defective even if out of warranty they will replace it. I had a 6 Speed tranny problem when racing and Richmond stood behind their product. I was also out of warranty for several years. Any questions call Johnny at Richmond on the tech line 864 843-9275. I have worked with him before and this is his field of expertise.

Quick Reply: getting new 4.10's.... Richmond or Motive??