Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

building a 9'', got some ???'s

Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Default building a 9'', got some ???'s

Its that time to ditch the 10 bolt and get a rear in the car. I dont have the $2200 to buy a rearend at once so im gonna build a 9'' over time. So my buddy has 2 center sections with a 3.73 gear and a 4.11 gear in them. Only down side is there cast centers but he only wants $75 for both of them. So cheap or not its a hell of a deal then just get a aluminum one later when i get more cash and have a few gear sets for a option. Then but a moser housing (p/n B9HP2) for $1000 with axles, bearings etc. So id basically have a 9'' for $1100 or am i missing a lot more parts? Wont be the best center section but its gonna be a lot better then a 10 bolt. Any advise please??
Old 11-01-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

junkyard center section= junkyard rear. either way if it breaks your trailering it home.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Sure thing, but still gonna be better then a junkyard 10 bolt. Im just using them for the time being till i get more money toghter after i get it all set up and i know it all works. Then ill buy a good aluminum center. Im no baller and have to work with what i can get.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old centers at $75.00 are a great deal. Just be aware that these modern engines put out a lot of power, and that you might need a tow someday. If that is your budget for now, I'd do it. It would indeed be a much better combination than the 10 bolt.
I sell the Moser 9 inch housing and axle package for $1000.00 shipped to your door.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1116 Bob
Old 11-02-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

yea Bob, i was checkin that out. Thats a good price. And like i said, ill eventually get a good center once i get everything toghter and i get some more money toghter. And right now my car is a cam only lt1 so im not worried yet. Are thoes prices sale prices or is that the price normally? And is this the only parts ill need? Your rear and bolt in this center and im done?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
yea Bob, i was checkin that out. Thats a good price. And like i said, ill eventually get a good center once i get everything toghter and i get some more money toghter. And right now my car is a cam only lt1 so im not worried yet. Are thoes prices sale prices or is that the price normally? And is this the only parts ill need? Your rear and bolt in this center and im done?
That is my normal low everyday price. You will need a conversion U Joint more than likely, and two three inch muffler clamps for the sway bar. You use the U part of the muffler clamps for the sway bar. You will also need several feet of vacuum line for the rearend vent and three quarts of 80-90 weight gear lube. Thats all I can think of. Bob
Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

ok, thats nothing then if its just some cheap odds n ends of things. Now on my 10 bolt i bought the brackets from BMR i think, they just weld to the housing and mount the sway bar to that. I can just do that correct? Iv had problems with thoes brackets twisting so the welded brackets are just a lot better and not that much money eaither. Now centers.... are there just 1 style/bolt patterns. Im going to get the centers tonight, what should i look for or measure for axle size.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Yes, the BMR brackets work really good, just make sure to get the 3" ones.
No real hang ups other than matching axle spline to your center unit. I would imagine that the these centers are the 28 spline, so you need to order 28 spline axles. Bob
Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Jerry, my guess would be that the only way to find the axels is to count the splines on the carrier. I got my case through bob at EPP over the summer. I was pretty good IMO. You will need to get the axel bearing pressed on too. I do not have an aluminium center section and that bitch is heavy as hell, but i'm confident it won't be breaking anytime soon. The one think that I ahd to get that wasn't mentioned was the caps for the pinion yoke. unless your center section comes with them you will need to order them elsewhere. I got mine from summit for like $25 if i remember.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Now with the centers, they are the factory 28 spline. But with that dia. housing, cant i press in new bearings to use 31 spline axles? Or do i HAVE to use the 28's?

Search this Thread