Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke my 10 bolt, where do I get an overhaul kit>?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Broke my 10 bolt, where do I get an overhaul kit>?

I know it is stupid, but I dumped the clutch tonight from 3000 rpm and broke the rear. Pretty sure its the ring gear that went. Every full rotation of the tire is a CLUNK sound and its always in the same spot -- the middle of the diff.

Where can I get a complete overhaul kit? I had 4.10 gears in this one and I'd like to have the same thing again. Also should I get the gears heat-treated by some company?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rule of thumb when it comes to the pathetic 10 bolt is to upgrade, not rebuild. I would put the money towards a new 9".
Old 02-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Yeah but how much will that cost? I really dont have 2500 bucks to spend. For now I'd just like to get it back on the road. It was supposed to be a daily driver, so i shouldnt have done that in the first place. lol.

Can anyone help me? Thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Several vendors here sell an overhaul kit. IIRC, it is available in 3 different levels...called a 12 bolt, a 9", and an S60.

Sorry, I had to.

The first step would be to pop the cover off and see just what damage was done. If it's just a ring & pinion that is one thing. If it cracked the diff as well there are more problems in your lap. Some believe that when it takes out a diff, depending on how it breaks, the forces can spring the entire housing making it a piece of art and nothing more. My point is see what damage is done...it may be just a r & p with bearing kit or it may be expensive enough that it is a substantial percentage of the way to a stronger axle assembly. A stronger axle, I might add, that would take those hard launches.

Quite a few vendors on here should be able to get you the bearing kits. Do a bit of quick browsing in this section & you will see a number of vendors that frequent here. As to heat treating the gears.......I kinda thought they were all heat treated. Cryogenic treating...now that is a different story.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Thanks for the reply. On ebay Fparts salvage has a complete rear end for $300. I guess I could just swap that in. We havent pulled off the cover yet, but I'm pretty sure i broke an axle too.

This rear im looking at has 3.42s, but I dont think I want 4.10s again even though they are awesome. It would just blow the tires off all the way thru 1st and 2nd even with 275s/18s.

EDIT: One more thing. Do you think i damaged the transmission when I did this? I sure as hell hope i didnt.

Last edited by ls2pontiac; 02-09-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

We carry complete ring and pinions, bearing kits, positractions and many other differential components for the stock differential. Give us a call or check out our website if you have any questions give me a call. We would be happy to help you out.

Jeff