LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Gears & Axles (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles-15/)
-   -   Reluctor Rings? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/862109-reluctor-rings.html)

LS1Silverado05 02-11-2008 02:26 PM

Reluctor Rings?

I see most rearends have the option of new reluctor rings, or use the old ones. Do the ones on the factory 7.5 just unbolt and go onto the new axles?..
If you have your old rearend, is their any reason to use "new rings"?

Jays00ss 02-11-2008 02:34 PM

I got new ones from Moser when I ordered my axles. They are beefier than stock but I really don't think it matters. You can reuse the stock ones but they need to be pressed onto the axles. I just wanted everything to be new when I swaped out my rearend.

connexion2005 02-11-2008 02:49 PM

They can be pressed off and on. If you are on a budget just reuse them since they physically do nothing but create a magnetic field that the VSS picks up at each wheel to determine that one wheel is not spinning faster than the other (thus you have Traction Control). But like Jay said there is no feeling like knowing that everything is brand new.

Oh and don't hold me to it but I suppose there could be a reason that the rings would need to be a different size if you are using heavier spline axles but I'm not %100 sure. There are a few driveline sponsors that could clear this up fast for ya...

LS1Silverado05 02-11-2008 02:51 PM

What happens if you use the reluctor rings but have a spool? It just always thinks you have traction, and the abs / tc will never engage? Or will you have abs but you wont have traction control?

Jays00ss 02-11-2008 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05 (Post 8687554)
What happens if you use the reluctor rings but have a spool? It just always thinks you have traction, and the abs / tc will never engage? Or will you have abs but you wont have traction control?

You can not run a spool and have traction control. A spool locks your axles together all the time. Traction control needs to regulate speed between both sides. It will not work with a spool.

LS1Silverado05 02-11-2008 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jays00ss (Post 8687589)
You can not run a spool and have traction control. A spool locks your axles together all the time. Traction control needs to regulate speed between both sides. It will not work with a spool.

Thats what I figured. What about abs?...I would think as long as the reluctors were in place, it would work?..

Steve Burger 02-11-2008 05:02 PM

ABS will not work right. It will try and bias braking to each wheel. They are locked together and can not bias. With a spool I would ditch ABS and TCS.

Websy21 02-11-2008 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Burger (Post 8688546)
ABS will not work right. It will try and bias braking to each wheel. They are locked together and can not bias. With a spool I would ditch ABS and TCS.

Ya I thought it wasn't an option at all with a spool and you had to ditch em both in which I think is good anyways. The TCS is garbage and the ABS is more of a hazard to me. The only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot reprogram to have your abs light stay off. You have to do the 'Red' duct tape mod, LOL, just kidding......... well on the duct tape and use black tape :eyes:

RiskyZ28 02-11-2008 06:30 PM

so if you get a 12bolt or 9inch ect and have deleted the abs and traction control do you need the reluctor rings at all? im getting ready to order a rear and i am not sure what i need to order on it. i want a true bolt on rear so i just want to order everything i need when i order the rear

DAVESS02 02-11-2008 08:07 PM

If you have access to a good torch, you just need to heat up the rings while they are on the old axles. With a medium prybar, pry them up side to side. They should come off with minor effort. Grab them with channel locks, heat them up a bit more, and they will literally drop onto the new axle. You may need to tap them home with a light hammer. Its best to have the new and old axle standing up side by side with the flanges on the floor.

ssvert99 02-12-2008 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by RiskyZ28 (Post 8689222)
so if you get a 12bolt or 9inch ect and have deleted the abs and traction control do you need the reluctor rings at all? im getting ready to order a rear and i am not sure what i need to order on it. i want a true bolt on rear so i just want to order everything i need when i order the rear

the reluctor wheels and the 100.00 axle upgrade mod is not needed if you have deleted the abs/tcs. the speedo operates off the trans so no worries there.