Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Posi for a 2.73 stock rearend?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Posi for a 2.73 stock rearend?????

I have a stock rearend on a car that will never see a dragstrip. Anyway to add a better posi unit? May be a dumb question. Just wanted to ask. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a better question is why is it just the posi you want to upgrade? I'm assuming this for the 00 Z28 in your signature, so it's already a limited slip differential. Has it gone bad?

A better mod for the street would be a set of 3.73's. It would really wake the car up without compromising driveability.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

I think it may be. Or i might just need to to change the fluid and add the additive in. When i am driving the car and coasting, no throttle, if i turn left or right or can hear a knocking or clicking sound coming from the rear. Its not the exhaust banging. It has great clearance but i am definitely thinking there is something wrong with the rear end. Its a street only daily driver. No track time ever.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UATahoe
I think it may be. Or i might just need to to change the fluid and add the additive in. When i am driving the car and coasting, no throttle, if i turn left or right or can hear a knocking or clicking sound coming from the rear. Its not the exhaust banging. It has great clearance but i am definitely thinking there is something wrong with the rear end. Its a street only daily driver. No track time ever.
You probably have a torsen diff, in which case you don't need the additive. The fluid change is a good idea for maintenance, but likely won't quell the noise.

The clicking/knocking is somewhat normal for an aged torsen (kind of sad huh). I don't typically recommend upgrading the posi in a 10 bolt, but for street use only it may be ok. If it is just the noise that bothers you, I would personally find a stock unit with lower mileage and put that in.

Otherwise, this is a popular choice for upgrade:

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=279
Old 03-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. Dont want to change the gears though because i am loving the gas mileage right now. LOL. I may try to find a used one in good condition. Sad thing is, car only has 35,000 niles on it. Would think the thing would last a little longer. Bummer.