Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help!!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!!!!

I noticed my rear end leaking and when I let off the gas it would whine real loud, we I decided to drive to the AutoZone to pick up some stuff to change the rear fluid out and see if that helps. I didnt get 1 mile down the road when I feel a terrible vibration in the passenger side rear wheel. I stopped and tried to reverse when I hear clanking and grinding. I immediatly shut it down and go out, I tried to push it forward, but no movement, I pushed it backwards and it would go with ease. I called a friend and we tried to push it foward again, well it moved forward, but sounded nasty.

My driveshaft came off, and a big *** bolt was just lying on the ground. I took the cover off the rear and looked inside, the gears/pinion are fine and dont appear to have any damage. But like I said, the driveshaft is completely un-hooked.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Sounds like the pinion nut and yoke fell off.
Kind of rare, usually the nut comes loose and you hear noise for a long time.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Well, i heard a loud noise, but it just sounded like the rear end was whining real loud. So can i just hook it back up? I mean, i checked everything and nothing SEEMS to be broken. There were weird marks on the Aurborn posi, like the gears scrapped it or something, but I looked at all the gears and nothing seemed to be missing or broke.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

That usually happens when the nut comes loose, it marks the carrier.
I've known someone who just tightened the nut, flushed it out and was fine. This was on a second gen.

To do it right you'd need to take the pinion out and install a new crush collar, check/replace bearings, flush everything including the axle tubes, install new seals, and reassemble with a new pinion nut.

To take your chances you could put in a new seal, install a pinion nut with red loctite, and torque it to get the proper bearing preload. And maybe stake the nut in place.
If it makes no noise after that you're ok. If it makes noise you're out the money for the nut, seal, and oil.
Take your pick. I'm not recommending one or the other.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you for the help, That is exactly what has happened. But why do you think it happened?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

I have no idea. It would have made a hell of a lot of noise for a while because the pinion nut typically doesn't just fall off.
I've never heard of a yoke just fall off unless the pinion broke.
Maybe if you have a real loud exhaust and didn't hear it the whole time the nut was backing off.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

I do have really loud exhuast, and noisy *** clunking LCA's. Thats why I didnt hear it. ****.

Search this Thread