Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Time to Buy a 9"... Need some info/advice...

Old 04-11-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time to Buy a 9"... Need some info/advice...

Well, the ole 10 bolt is whining, vibrating a little (may be that pinion angle is slightly out), and has an axle seal leaking so I figure it’s time for a new rear end. I figure I might as well pick up a 9” and be done with it instead of a 12 bolt, this way I’m set for any kind of abuse down the road and there isn’t a huge price difference. I was wondering about a couple of things:

1. My car had traction control when it was a V6, but since the swap doesn’t… So am I looking for a 3 channel or 4?

2. Is there going to be any complications since I want to keep ABS?

3. Do I need to buy a break kit or different backing plates or anything along those lines? Reuse mine?

4. What’s a good differential choice for a street car that won’t give me any problems, is quiet, but can still perform?

5. Also, who’s the best to pick one up from as far as price and customer service goes?

6. Would it be best to order it not set up? I’ve heard that moser has a hit and miss record going on for the way they set up their rears and noise.

Any other helpful information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Addison
Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT... also looking for opinions on the Dana 60..??
Old 04-11-2008, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slvr00Bird
Well, the ole 10 bolt is whining, vibrating a little (may be that pinion angle is slightly out), and has an axle seal leaking so I figure it’s time for a new rear end. I figure I might as well pick up a 9” and be done with it instead of a 12 bolt, this way I’m set for any kind of abuse down the road and there isn’t a huge price difference. I was wondering about a couple of things:

1. My car had traction control when it was a V6, but since the swap doesn’t… So am I looking for a 3 channel or 4?

2. Is there going to be any complications since I want to keep ABS?

3. Do I need to buy a break kit or different backing plates or anything along those lines? Reuse mine?

4. What’s a good differential choice for a street car that won’t give me any problems, is quiet, but can still perform?

5. Also, who’s the best to pick one up from as far as price and customer service goes?

6. Would it be best to order it not set up? I’ve heard that moser has a hit and miss record going on for the way they set up their rears and noise.

Any other helpful information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Addison
1. 3 channel
2. No
3. Use yours
4. Truetrac
5. There's a lot of vendors/fabricators who sell the 9" on the board. There are good deals to be had. Do a search and look over there ---------->>>>>
6. You can always buy a housing/axle package, and get the center section separately. A LOT of reputable places sell assembled 9" center sections.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by supernaturalta
1. 3 channel
2. No
3. Use yours
4. Truetrac
5. There's a lot of vendors/fabricators who sell the 9" on the board. There are good deals to be had. Do a search and look over there ---------->>>>>
6. You can always buy a housing/axle package, and get the center section separately. A LOT of reputable places sell assembled 9" center sections.
I'd have to go Moser center section if I went with 3 channel and wanted ABS though.. what are the pros and cons to that?

I was hoping a sponsor would pop in here and help out... guess everyone is busy on a friday..
Old 04-11-2008, 08:29 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this link out. I sell a lot of Moser rear-ends, two today actually. I have very, very few problems with them, and they ship out two days after the order is received. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
Old 04-11-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Check this link out. I sell a lot of Moser rear-ends, two today actually. I have very, very few problems with them, and they ship out two days after the order is received. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
So 3 channel is what I need then?

I like your package...
Old 04-12-2008, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

I like your package...
That got real weird.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I like your package...
Thanks!

3 channel is when you only have ABS, and you have one sensor that plugs into the center section.

4 channel is when you have ABS and traction control. You will have a switch on the dash that can turn off the traction control. With the 4 channel, you have two sensors, one at each end of the axle by the brakes.

If you car had the 4 channel, but you swapped the harness and everything for one that only has ABS, then I would order the ABS option. It should work provided the complete harness, including the body harness was swapped out. You can also just opt for none at all, and your brakes will work just like cars prior to ABS, where you have threshold braking. Bob
Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Avengeance
That got real weird.
LOL... Just wasn't in that mindset when I wrote it.. Smart a$$

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Thanks!

3 channel is when you only have ABS, and you have one sensor that plugs into the center section.

4 channel is when you have ABS and traction control. You will have a switch on the dash that can turn off the traction control. With the 4 channel, you have two sensors, one at each end of the axle by the brakes.

If you car had the 4 channel, but you swapped the harness and everything for one that only has ABS, then I would order the ABS option. It should work provided the complete harness, including the body harness was swapped out. You can also just opt for none at all, and your brakes will work just like cars prior to ABS, where you have threshold braking. Bob
I've got the same rear end in the car that I had. So maybe I have a mut of a harness? I was just wanting to keep the ABS because it's my DD and will be for a long time. I'll get a hold of the installer/tuner and see what he says.

Thanks Bob, you might be hearing from me soon.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:10 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

LOL... Just wasn't in that mindset when I wrote it.. Smart a$$

I've got the same rear end in the car that I had. So maybe I have a mut of a harness? I was just wanting to keep the ABS because it's my DD and will be for a long time. I'll get a hold of the installer/tuner and see what he says.

Thanks Bob, you might be hearing from me soon.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Bob

Search this Thread