Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" help choosing differential, axles, swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 9" help choosing differential, axles, swaybar

?'s at bottom of this

i have a 02 SS M6 which is a weekend car BUT does see a good bit of racing but isnt a all out race car. also me and my girlfriend also enjoy driving it to the beach every now and then and i dont want a spool to keep me from doing that. when it hits the track again it should be a low 10 sec 1/4 car.

i know i want a moser 9" but trying to figure out what size axles, what differential, & what drag sway bar to use.

i know i want the aluminum center but ive been thinking of a trutrak then i started researching and bob from epp has written numerous times that he would not hesitate to have a spool in a weekend car or even a car taken on long haul trips. <which is what i use the car for. plus i like the fact that its lighter too.

***i know most people who are serious about racing love the wolfe drag sway bars but would they be acceptable for a street/strip combo that sees some beach trips and stuff or would i be better off going with the spohn or bmr drag bars?

***with that stuff said do you think id be ok with a spool?

***i know they have many different splines on the axles to choose from what do you think would be the best for my app?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go with a spool, it won't keep you from driving it to the beach. The only time you will notice the spool is when you turn tight corners.

I'd also go with 35 spline axles, no extra charge with the spool.

Any of the drag bars will work just fine. For $50 Moser will supply and already have welded on the mounts on the rear for the BMR Xtreme anti-roll bar, which saves the hassle. There is still welding for the frame mounted parts for the anti roll bar to be done. Bob
Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it's still a street car I'd go with a TruTrac and 31 spline axles--which is what I have. This should meet your performance goals and remain fun to drive. There's a lot of variability as to what's street-worthy though.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Bob, go with a spool & 35 spline axles for added strength, you really won't notice the spool, just in tight turns, you will however have a very solid 3rd. member with no worries.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

from what I've heard the Wolfe piece can break when say on an uneven incline, driveway, etc. theres a few guys here that have done that.

the BMR one is suppose to have a LITTLE articulation.

I wish I would of gone 35 spline spool....so I'd recommend that.

Chad
Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
from what I've heard the Wolfe piece can break when say on an uneven incline, driveway, etc. theres a few guys here that have done that.

the BMR one is suppose to have a LITTLE articulation.

I wish I would of gone 35 spline spool....so I'd recommend that.

Chad
I hadn't heard of that with the Wolfe. The BMR Xtreme http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=183
is the only one we use. I have it on my '99, the car leaves very even, partly as a result of this anti roll bar. Bob

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 06-03-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I hadn't heard of that. The BMR Xtreme http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=183
is the only one we use. I have it on my '99, the car leaves very even, partly as a result of this anti roll bar. Bob
uh I said the wolfe does it not the bmr one...I know theres a few guys who have broken them here on these boards...found that out when looking at the wolfe vs bmr.

I'll be going w/ the bmr.

Chad
Old 06-03-2008, 04:57 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
uh I said the wolfe does it not the bmr one...I know theres a few guys who have broken them here on these boards...found that out when looking at the wolfe vs bmr.

I'll be going w/ the bmr.

Chad
I know that's what you said, I didn't word my reply correctly. Bob
Old 06-04-2008, 04:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Streetability is most certainly a matter of personal preference. What one guy loves, another guy may hate. I wouldn't have a spool in a car that sees anything more than minimal street duty, especially if there is a chance you might get caught in the rain (ie: beach trip). Would the spool cause a wreck? Probably not. Would a TrueTrac cause a wreck? Absolutely not. Why chance it?

All three drag bars you mentioned will keep the car leaving straight. Is the Wolfe more race oriented? Absolutely. If the Spohn will make the car leave straight - why sacrifice streetability unneccessarily? I don't deal with BMR and have no personal experience with their drag bar, but I know first hand that the Spohn works - see my signature.

Will you break 35 spline axles? No. 33 Spline? No. 31 Spline? No. To achieve maximum performance you should use the smallest axle that will safely handle the torque your car produces. Why run such overkill axles? Check out Moser's Axle recommendations:

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/axletech.html

For 90% of cars that see the street even once in a while, the TrueTrac/31 Spline setup is hard to beat.