Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Weird noise from the rear of the car

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird noise from the rear of the car

Hey everyone,

So I bought a 2000 WS6 with 85,xxx miles on it and everytime I come to a stop there is a weird grinding/rusty nails sound coming from the rear. I thought that it might a stuck or dragging caliper, but when I put on the brakes the sound doesn't go away. So, I decided to change the rear end fluid and add some GM LSD additive (even though I have a Torsen unit, I heard it helps). I haven't had a chance to drive the car to see if it helped, but I took a pic of the magnet on the back of the cover, and I wanted to know if it looked normal. I seemed like a lot of metal. I hope that my stupid 10 bolt isn't dying, b/c I have no money replace the damn thing.

Here is a pic of the Torsen unit. Does it look OK?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Depending on how long it has been since the last rear end fluid change, and if the magnet was cleaned then.
My rear had about the same amount of shavings on the magnet @ 100K miles, cleaned it, then drove another 8K miles and it looked just as bad.
Started to get a constant gravely/slight grinding noise at highway speeds, which turned out to be a bad driver side carrier bearing. Fairly easy to swap out or have done
Old 07-17-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TJSZ
Depending on how long it has been since the last rear end fluid change, and if the magnet was cleaned then.
My rear had about the same amount of shavings on the magnet @ 100K miles, cleaned it, then drove another 8K miles and it looked just as bad.
Started to get a constant gravely/slight grinding noise at highway speeds, which turned out to be a bad driver side carrier bearing. Fairly easy to swap out or have done
Thanks for the info. I was able to drive the car today and the sound was quieter but it was still there. I am guessing that a bearing is starting to go bad. How hard is it to replace?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Axle and carrier bearings are fairly easy if you have any experience. The hardest part is getting the old bearings off and news ones pressed on.
Pinion bearings are tougher, so it really depends on which ones, IF any may need replacing.
Check out the FAQ sticky at the top of this section to get a better idea of what is invloved.