Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

should the limited slip engage in very low rpms?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should the limited slip engage in very low rpms?

just a quick question. Yesterday I was parked on a hill, half way on a drive way and the other half of the car in wet grass. When I went to go up the hill I just barely used the throttle (not even 900 or so rpms) The tire on the wet grass just started to spin. I did not want to stress anything so I backed down the hill till I got traction then went up the hill.

Should my other tire have caught traction or do the clutches not engage until higher rpms. I guess what i am saying is if I just gunned it should the posi engage?

I know its a fairly weird question but I am just curious.

thanks.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

No,it should catch anyhow. Like if your trying to do a burnout,you don't start with high rpm's,but both tires spin..I have a 99 T/A,it looks like yours is a 94 formula. I would think its the same,but it might not be. Or the clutch pack it out in the rear end or the posi unit all together..Try to spin the tires on dry pavement and see what happens.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

yea I did a peel out today to see what would happen and when I looked afterwards I saw that there were 2 strips of rubber layed out. I guess everything is fine. It is an old rear end.

I also jacked the rear up and did the test where you spin one wheel and have another person try to spin the opposite wheel in reverse. The wheels diddnt lock up as should but there was decent resistance. I am assuming the rear is just a little worn out.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

In a situation where one wheel has low traction a clutch type posi will rely on preload spring pressure to spin the wheel with traction.
Especially if it's worn a bit.

The preload springs push the side gears into the clutches.
Now when you did the burnout on pavement the upset force tries to seperate the side gears and thats the (stronger) force that pushes them into the clutches. Thats why it spun both.