Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whats wrong with my rear end.(long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats wrong with my rear end.(long)

About three months ago my rear started making this noise.. at about 30-50 mph you can hear a (whomp whomp whomp)sound from the Right Rear. Its not a metal/metal sound, sounds like flat spotted tire. I cant figure out whats wrong with it. When I apply the brakes HARD @ 50mph the noise will go away and come back once off the brakes say at 30mph. Ive been trying to fix it so hears what Ive done.

1. tore apart rear thinking it was a bearing. Not it, all the bearings and diff looked like new. Same thing.
2. Rotated and balanced all tires. Same thing.
3. Took Right Rear Caliper off and greased the Guide Pins thinking caliper may be stuck. Same thing.

One thing Ive noticed is there is a TON of brake dust on the right rear backing plate. The left rear plate is still silver in color. There has to be a brake issue, could the rotor be warped and make the sound? Wheel bearing? The one thing that leads me away from the wheel bearing is that its not a metal/metal sound its deeper than that. Ideas?TIA

Matt
Old 09-08-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Whats wrong with my rear end.(long)

Is your e-brake pad stuck to the rotor on that side?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Whats wrong with my rear end.(long)

I definately just had that same problem(at least I think. Jack the car up and put the car in gear and let it idle. If your problem is the same as mine you will hear this horrible noise coming from the Right rear. I tore up my RR axle bearing and my axle along with it so don't let the problem presist.