Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 2010 Camaro today - question about the shifter

Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a 2010 Camaro today - question about the shifter

Today, I test drove a V6 RS model with the manual 6 speed. I have to say the clutch is really nice compared to my 2001 SS. The shifter was another story though. Although shifts were really nice, I kept putting the stupid car into reverse. If it wasn't for the little ping noise when it goes into 'R' I would have backed into people more than once. By the end of the test drive I was getting pretty comfortable with that at least.

The other issue was I normally double clutch when down shifting (which really impressed the sale guy), and I could not get the car to down shift into second. It turns out I was in some nowhere gear position opposite Reverse. It seems there is no lockout while moving to keep you from out of that area. Why oh why did they put reverse on top of first. Even my 2001 has a good lock out mechanism.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

You tried a V6?
Old 03-13-2010, 10:50 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
You tried a V6?
If I wanted to drive a manual transmission, yes. I wouldn't buy one though.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Well that sucks on the v6.
My 2010 SS has reverse above 6th gear, and it has a lock out that won't let you shift into reverse unless your stopped.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 AM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
Well that sucks on the v6.
My 2010 SS has reverse above 6th gear, and it has a lock out that won't let you shift into reverse unless your stopped.
Your SS is like the old F-Bodies, my 2001 is like yours. I could not believe the V6 design, if you lent your car to someone they would be very likely to back into someone. I am glad to hear the transmission is different with the V8, the big question is why?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BJM
Today, I test drove a V6 RS model with the manual 6 speed. I have to say the clutch is really nice compared to my 2001 SS. The shifter was another story though. Although shifts were really nice, I kept putting the stupid car into reverse. If it wasn't for the little ping noise when it goes into 'R' I would have backed into people more than once. By the end of the test drive I was getting pretty comfortable with that at least.

The other issue was I normally double clutch when down shifting (which really impressed the sale guy), and I could not get the car to down shift into second. It turns out I was in some nowhere gear position opposite Reverse. It seems there is no lockout while moving to keep you from out of that area. Why oh why did they put reverse on top of first. Even my 2001 has a good lock out mechanism.
What is this fast and the Ferious? There is no reason to double clutch in cars with syncros. You are not driving an 18 wheeler, and your not trying rev match, double clutching is pointless.........
Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
What is this fast and the Ferious(Furious)? There is no reason to double clutch in cars with syncros. You are not driving an 18 wheeler, and your not trying rev match, double clutching is pointless.........
"Double-clutching is usually reserved for those driving trucks or high performance racing cars, but anyone with a manual transmission can perform this simple feat. There are times, however, that a normal car driver may want to make use of double clutching. Many manual transmission drivers realize the advantages of downshifting in slippery conditions. Rather than brake and skid, a car with a manual transmission can make use of the engine to slow down - thereby eliminating the possibility of a skid. But even with synchronizers, a driver trying to shift from fifth gear into second could have some trouble. In this case, double clutching by pausing in neutral and giving the engine a little gas to match speeds of the engine and gearbox, can allow such a drastic shift. Some driving purists maintain that it's still the proper way to shift, and makes for a much smoother ride. It eliminates some of the jumpiness sometimes felt in a manual transmission car, and it decreases the stress on the gearbox. In any case, double clutching is a skill worth having in emergency downshift situations, and not very difficult to learn."
Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Please, Please Please. Dont call the camaro stupid again.
in Fact, its much smarter than you.

especially since you cant find the right gear and are putting it into reverse!!!!!!!!!!

its so smart it lets you know
"dumbass your in the wrong gear put me in 5".

dont buy it go buy a mustang. or an automatic
Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOM02WS6
What is this fast and the Ferious? There is no reason to double clutch in cars with syncros. You are not driving an 18 wheeler, and your not trying rev match, double clutching is pointless.........
The only people who drag out this tired old refrain are those who don't know how. I regularly downshift from 6 to 4 or even 3, double clutching is the only smooth way to do this. Have you ever driven on a road course? Try to find a single driver who does not double clutch. I have tracked my car a couple times and you can tell who knows how to do this or not from the sidelines.

Originally Posted by Luckymex_dallas
Please, Please Please. Dont call the camaro stupid again.
in Fact, its much smarter than you.

especially since you cant find the right gear and are putting it into reverse!!!!!!!!!!

its so smart it lets you know
"dumbass your in the wrong gear put me in 5".

dont buy it go buy a mustang. or an automatic
Have you driven the V6 manual yourself? While I learned to drive it after about 10 minutes, there is no getting around the poor design. I have driven at least two other cars like this and both required a substantial downward push on the shifter to hit reverse. The Camaro does not have this at all. You did read the original post correct? Reverse is left of first, NOT next to 5.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm surprised to hear the shift pattern is so much different on the 6 and the 8 - I thought with them both being 6 speed manuals it would be the same
Old 03-20-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I'm surprised to hear the shift pattern is so much different on the 6 and the 8 - I thought with them both being 6 speed manuals it would be the same
V8 is a Tremec TR-6060 with the same shift pattern as the T-56

V6 is an Aisin out of the CTS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Test drove a 2010 Camaro today - question about the shifter